Corsair Community

Any limit on the amount of extension cables between RGB strips?

subbie

And more specifically, how many extension cables I can daisy chain before the first LED strip. I am using a Lighting Node Pro to light my desk and the back of my monitors. Currently it's placed outside of my case, but I want to put it on the inside and run extension cables through a small hole on the bottom of my case.

So ... what I've found is that you can have issues with you do longer runs of Corsair cables. I've had an issue with 2 of them back-to-back but that may have been an issue with one of the cables. What you do need to be careful of, however, is voltage drop. Over 2-3 feet of the (I think) 26 gauge cable that Corsair uses starts to cause voltages to drop significantly. This decreases the brightness of the LEDs.

If you take a look at https://www.ebay.com/str/piratedogtech, the longer strip extension cables (36" and higher) use 22 AWG cable. This reduces the voltage drop across those long runs. I've actually done 20' of cable with acceptable voltage drop with that thicker gauge cable. It's all due to the resistance - thinner, higher gauge wiring has higher resistance. Using thicker, lower gauge wire reduces the resistance.

And look in my sig if you want details on how to build your own cables. Note that 22 AWG is the thickest gauge wiring that will work with the Molex SL series connectors that Corsair uses.

Archived