Corsair Community

Double Shot Key Caps

Corsair Henry

Which color keycaps and Material do you prefer?  

250 members have voted

1. 1. Which color keycaps and Material do you prefer?

• Black Keycaps + ABS
    • Black Keycaps + PBT
    • White keycaps + ABS
    • White keycaps + PBT
    • numbers + Legends side by side ( better lighting)
    • Single Thickness
    • Double thickness

• Corsair Employee

Hello Everyone,

There has been inquiries in regards to double shot key caps. My question is, how many of you would like the option to purchase a set if they were available? If so, how much would you spend?

What is double shot key caps? "the process of molding plastic around a preformed metal or plastic insert. This has been a popular process to create very durable keycaps in the past"

How will it benefit you?

Maximum contrast lettering: the legends are bold and vibrant and pure in tone, with smooth edges and uniform colouration.

Zero wear: the legend will never wear, as it runs right through the surface of the keycap.

Colour freedom: the keycap and legend can each be of any colour desired: this lends itself well to custom keycaps where a wide range of colours is highly desirable.

Feel: the legend and the keycap are one, and the legend cannot be felt while typing.

^ pulled from wiki because it's easier

Edited by Corsair Henry
  • Confused 1

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Henry,

Can you hear that noise? That's me throwing my wallet at you :p I would literally give you my kidney for a set of white backlit double shot keycaps. White key caps backlit by rgb lighting (like the Strafe rgb) looks absoloutely phenomenal!

So er yeah, I'd be mega interested in some double shot keycaps (white please!) :laughing:

Wulfster

I forgot to mention/beg for an ISO uk layout set, the only option we have for double shot whites over here atm is Ducky and that doesnt cover the bottom row.

Nice to see Corsair are at least willing to see how much interest there is and potentially start this project. Lots of people like to pimp out their keyboards these days and as Corsair boards have a non standard bottom, it could be an easy and untapped market for them.

Here's hoping anyway :biggrin:

Wulfster

P.S. hope they keep the font from the stafe keyset, really nice looking font.

I love to have those new keycaps. Most that are available, do not support lighting and those who do, are not compatible with the spacebar or other bottom row keys. :)

It would be much appreciated.

Let's hope these will be available in Europe.

I am expressing my interest, and also that of a good 40-50 other people who told me the same thing.

Having said that, I wanted to mention some caveats with double shot keycaps- the fonts can be inconsistent. It is also impossible (to my knowledge) to get letters that have a closed loop. Case in point, here's some close up pics from the double shot keycaps on a Ducky Shine 5:

http://i.imgur.com/pGEmmbil.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/NBxAX9Il.jpg

Notice how the "e" is different. Others have mentioned their keycaps being different from mine, so there is definite inconsistency with these keycaps anyway. It could be a QC/QA issue in terms of inconsistency so perhaps Corsair could come up with a good, reliable set of aftermarket options that fit the K65/70/95 and Strafe boards.

White double shot keycaps would look awesome in my opinion. I've refrained from purchasing a set because of the non standard bottom row. It would be awesome to choose between keycap sets when we buy the keyboard (or buy a keycap set with a keyboard without keycaps)

edit: some pics- note the windows and function keys didn't fit and are from the original set of keycaps. you can see a slight difference in texture https://pcpartpicker.com/user/yoonie/builds/#view=CTRG3C

I already bought a set of PBT-POM double shots as soon as I got my K65 but if I hadn't, I would be very interested. If the price is similar and the quality is superior I would consider upgrading in the future.

PBT-POM was very important to me since it really allows the LEDs to shine. I got the vortex ones for around 40 and would hope for a similar price from corsair.

2nd edit: forgot to mention that the vortex pbt poms light up the symbols above the number keys but not the number keys themselves (for example, ! and @ but not 1 and 2) which is a bit annoying. If that was addressed I would definitely buy a set from corsair.

Edited by yoonie

A nice idea. The key caps are not so good with not so bright colors they get distorted from the material and you have one color on the bottom of them aND a washed-out one on the letters.

The problem is if they can/will produce caps for all layouts. Using the English EU layout, small left SHIFT with | and the huge ENTER. Or the symbols on the numbers are different from country to country

Hope we will see something like that, in near future.

Henry, why not post this on social media as well? This thread isn't going to get as much attention by itself.

I've posted on Geek Hack with a link to this topic to try get some more interest, I'm sure theres literally millions of corsair users that would be interested in these after market keycaps.

I'll be posting on Overclockers uk forums too as we have our own Corsair RGB owners thread, try and get this message to as many as possible.

Best regards

Wulf

This is a good idea. It should have been done a long time ago. But to be honest, Corsair should have used the standard bottom row since these keyboards, among other Corsair products, are used by high end users, modders, enthusiasts and the like. Corsair should stop producing keyboards in this non-standard bottom row in the future. Its a small detail that drives some of those users to other brands.

As for the double shot key caps, what kind of plastic will be used? ABS, PBT or POM. All have their cons and pros with PBT having the more longevity and less wear/shine. Some like the shine on ABS other don't. ABS is cheap PBT is not. What thickness will the caps have? Thin caps tend to "bleed" light through them while most thick caps don't. Also there are different key profiles to choose from. OEM, the profile of our stock Corsair caps. Cherry profile which are a little shorter than OEM as is DCS. There is also DSA which all caps have the same form and height so there is actually no row numbers and being short , eliminates the "wobble" of the key. And SA which is most loved by keyboard enthusiasts and very good looking.

Since these are high end and quality built keyboards, I would prefer also quality caps from the stock low quality thin ones

Also the LEDs on my K70 (non RGB) are too bright, and I don't know if it is on all K series, even on the lowest setting plus they flicker and it is annoying. Personally I only have the space bar LED on and love the glow from the bottom and would like the same effect from the whole keyboard. That means opaque and thick caps for me preferable in PBT and not necessarily double shot but dye sublimated which comes cheaper and still having longevity.

I might be asking too much and I might be the only one who wants this. I just want to help shed some info regarding the key caps so every one knows what they are getting.

Wulfster thanks for posting this on Geekhack.

Here is a photo showing different key cap profiles:

http://i.imgur.com/BAjhyIZ.jpg?1

I've posted on Geek Hack with a link to this topic to try get some more interest, I'm sure theres literally millions of corsair users that would be interested in these after market keycaps.

I'll be posting on Overclockers uk forums too as we have our own Corsair RGB owners thread, try and get this message to as many as possible.

Best regards

Wulf

I saw your post on OcUK, I frequent that place despite being in the US myself. I let some of the Corsair tech marketing guys know so hopefully it's up on social media soon, I will then share on OCN and Reddit.