Corsair Community

ZergHost

Hi.

I recently built a new rig with some pretty good components, but the Corsair PSU (HX850) that powered it fried on me. After RMA'ing it and purchasing a new PSU to hold me over, I was surprised to find my HDDs destroyed. I hoped that it was a fluke and replaced the HDD. Boom. Another one died. After doing extensive research, I have come to the conclusion that the Corsair PSU took something in the mobo when it first died, most likely a SATA controller or something (very likely). This bad chip may be the cause of my HDD troubles.

Can anyone help with this?

Sorry to hear that ZerHost. However I'm sorry to say that since you have already replaced the PSU via newegg there isn't much Corsair can do to help you with damaged parts. You would need to have done an RMA directly through Corsair to fill out a damage claim. but there is nothing they would be able to do at this time.

Without a detailed failure analysis it's hard to say whats going on with your system. It's entirely possible the MB shorted too causing the PSU failure. I'm not saying this is the case, just a possibility. Since your having other components fail even after the new PSU I would consider having the board RMA'd to be safe.

I went and got a new PSU from a brick and mortar store. The replacement HDD was from a prior build. I have not RMA'd anything with NewEgg, only Corsair.

if you have a open rma regarding your psu,call Corsair and with your rma # and explain the issues your having with your hdd's

i would think they would need your drives for testing but Corsair will inform you on the particulars...

Yeah, if thats the case and you do have an open RMA with Corsair then do as Wytnyt suggested and either call CS or you can also log back in to your ticket at any time to add information about your claim. If they have the PSU and you still have the board then they may want it AND your drives to test .

Sorry i misunderstood your initial post. I went back and re-read the OP and i have no idea where I got Newegg from. (yikes)

I have come to the conclusion that the Corsair PSU took something in the mobo when it first died, most likely a SATA controller or something (very likely).

Highly unlikely. Your drives do not get any power from the board. They get all their power from the connection from the PSU. The connection to the board is data only.

It's possible the PSU did damage the initial drive when the PSU blew and also damaging the board along with it. But it wouldn't cause a second drive failure with a different PSU.

Other than the second drive failing, the system functioned normally during the time the drive was okay? And how old was the second drive if it was from a previous build?

Archived