Corsair Community

HS70 Headset Battery Issues

So I'm now on my 2nd HS70 headset, both of which have had serious battery issues pretty quickly. The first stopped accepting a charge within a few months, but my current headset lasted the better part of a year before its issues popped up.

So here I was, opening iCUE one day because I was hearing "Charging Battery" *constantly*... Literally every 30 seconds or so. Since opening iCUE to see if maybe I could find a way to get my headset to stop this (I'm a literal noob to the software, rarely have it open) my headset won't hold a charge... at all. Literally from 50% to powering off within seconds. 9 times out of 10 it won't go above 6%, and essentially I now have a very fragile headset, which is disappointing because I went with Corsair based on a friend's suggestion when I first wanted a wireless headset.

I've loved both of my headsets when they've worked, but to have two debilitating battery issues in a row is pretty frustrating and discouraging. Is there ANYTHING I can do?

Just checking because I didn't see it mentioned, but have you tried a different micro USB cable and/or charging source?

Thanks for the suggestion, I went ahead and tried this. It does get the headset to charge, at least, but it's still draining pretty quickly. Not 50% to dead in seconds, but from 60% to 45% in the time it took to type this.

One last thing you can try before going through an RMA, cycling the battery. Fully drain the battery until it will no longer power on. Charge the headset with it off and uninterrupted.

Tried this this morning, did not work for me. Left it on the charger for a few hours to do its thing and it shows 0% then turns off if I have it on and unplug it.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I'm now on my 2nd HS70 headset, both of which have had serious battery issues pretty quickly never get to 100% even when it says that its fully charged. is this a problem with every piece of HS 70 PRO ??? or is this a issue with ICUE on windows ?

* i have tried the solutions *

Press and hold the mute button for 25 seconds.

After releasing the mute button wait 15 seconds.

Now test the headset and see if you are experiencing the same issues.

Edited by Dunken79

• Corsair Employee
The battery level reported by our headsets is an approximation as they do not have a battery level sensor. Couple things you can try to calibrate it is updating the FW to the latest version, and charge cycling the battery. Fully discharge the battery, then let it fully charge without interruption.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

As the title says, I have the same problem. Won't complete charge, discharges in seconds. I have it constantly plugged into an external power bank, but even now it has started randomly shutting down. It's gotten to the point where it won't hold a charge *at all*. Have tried every suggested diagnostic/fix. NOTHING WORKS.

If I knew how, I'd replace the battery myself.

Bought from Amazon on April 29, 2020

Edited by AdmiralSirJohn

• Corsair Employee
As the title says, I have the same problem. Won't complete charge, discharges in seconds. I have it constantly plugged into an external power bank, but even now it has started randomly shutting down. It's gotten to the point where it won't hold a charge *at all*. Have tried every suggested diagnostic/fix. NOTHING WORKS.

If I knew how, I'd replace the battery myself.

Bought from Amazon on April 29, 2020

Please open a ticket at https://help.corsair.com, our support will take care of you.

• 7 months later...

Um, please can someone please share which battery exactly was bought on amazon, or if there is an official spare part?

I have had my set for about 2 years now and the website is not listing them as a spare part, which sounds just absurd from a WEEE perspective to have that kind of corporate stance. Keen to keep it out of the landfill.

• 1 month later...
On 10/15/2020 at 3:37 AM, Dunken79 said:

I'm now on my 2nd HS70 headset, both of which have had serious battery issues pretty quickly never get to 100% even when it says that its fully charged. is this a problem with every piece of HS 70 PRO ??? or is this a issue with ICUE on windows ?

* i have tried the solutions *

Press and hold the mute button for 25 seconds.

After releasing the mute button wait 15 seconds.

Now test the headset and see if you are experiencing the same issues.

I also am experiencing the same issues. With the battery. 

The steps above seemed to have slowed the battery depletion from seconds to minutes, so it's slower which is good, but still appears to be draining too fast. I have let the headset drain to zero and recharge, but that didn't seem to help. 

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

While I love how the HS70 feel and sound, it has glaring battery issues. I've changed the battery myself once already and it started having the same issues after about 6 months. Can't say if it's the headset's problem or the batteries, since the originally battery got bloated after around the same amount of time. In any case, I'd rather buy and install a new battery than buying a whole new Headset or asking for RMA. I'm probably going to end up doing the same again soon.

Just be aware that Corsair can't and won't be responsible for whatever happens after you change the battery.

• 1 month later...

The batteries used in these are utterly awful and will fail. The charging cycle for Li-po is 300-400, which means daily WFH users will see failures in the first year, or even 6 months for WFH and Intensive evening gaming.

I suggest anyone with a battery failure fits an IPod 4th Generation battery, especially given the supply chain issues in china. To do this you have to change the pin out on the battery (very easy) but DO NOT LET THE RED (+) AND BLACK (-) WIRES TOUCH. Some have upgraded to 2000 MAh Li-Po, which in theory would reduce the charge cycle, but will still only last maximum of 18 months. If you go the Li-Ion route it will degrade over time but likely won’t fail all of a sudden like Li-Po.

Check out this reddit thread for repair options - 

Edited by polla2256
Spelling and Grammar

• 3 weeks later...

I have fixed this issue! Warning, not super easy, but only costs $22 and 15 mins of time. I replaced the battery. If you're comfortable unscrewing devices and plugging things in, you have the necessary skills to do it. This certainly voids the warranty, but Corsair had already stated they wouldn't fix it so I had a dead piece of equipment anyway. 

I googled HS70 battery replacement and ordered a 1500mah battery. I had to do all of the steps (including change the polarity of the new battery, which sounds hard but was super easy). I followed this guide and ordered the battery from them (I have no affiliation with the company). I don't even know how long I'm getting now, I charge it every few days. Highly recommend.

• 1 month later...

After seeing loads of overpriced spares - and being generally unimpressed with the WEEE policy of the company. I finally have more than 30 minutes of wireless playtime. I installed a slightly higher capacity replacement for a fraction of all the costs quoted by companies trying to flog you a battery. I know that if you build a car from spares it will cost you 5 times the cost of a new car, but the battery is really like an oil change, governments need to tighten up the rules on waste. So I suggest people get out there, find a reputable seller and use a butter knife on your headset - but be careful with the fine wires. Some hot glue and you are golden again. The power connector is miniature, but lucky the one I bought had the right polarity, you will need a fine blade and good eyes to swap wires on it if not.

The new battery I got is slightly wider, but despite the terrible design using fragile wires, the designers did leave plenty of space in there without needing to chisel up any plastic. Literally a small crosshead screwdriver, a hot-glue gun and a butter knife and £14 later I am a happy camper again. No fancy antics.

Edited by zaphodikus