Corsair Community

H50 very little Change in Temps

Redwagon

Finally got my H50 installed. That all went O.K. Using the air flow diagram as suggested by Corsair, I checked the temps before I installed the H50 (Asus/

M4A79T Deluxe and AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black CPU and stock AMD/HS/Fan.

Then temps after installation of the H50 using all reccomended installation. Sprry to say that it wasn't worth all the time spent buying and installing the

H50, asthe temps are no where near what I expected.

redwagon...

1076858821_BeforeTemps.jpg.a66391ffc19fa1777a7d1230ff5bdf7c.jpg

1472111425_AfterH50Temps.jpg.2f0b2279e4a32d3bfdc40559c59d4ccd.jpg

Those seem to be the normal temperatures for the majority of the people. You are not alone :sunglasse

Corsair said thats about within the temperatures it should be.

If that's what Corsair suggests, then why pay a bunch of $$ for temps that are very close to what the default Processor HS/Fan gives you ??? Granted the H50 works fine but when one goes to a system like that, I certainly expected a better showing.

Possibly a different case, a different fan arrangement, a different CPU and a different video card might make a difference.

Frank...

Bro, if you go through mine and Mike's post, we're going throught he same thing as you.

I got my first unit replaced and temps decreased by nearly 10 degrees. A lot of these were not made the same. I noticed the second one I got was a higher batch number and the inside packaging was recyclable as opposed to my first one that was plastic packaging.

But idle isn't where these things shine, it's the load that matters. Compare load temps and you should*** see an increase. If you don't hit 70 degrees on a i7 at 100 degrees celsius load, it means the h50 is working and you can overclock it :) I use that as a reference point

check your header voltage/fan throttling, the pump should be at 1400 not 843

The MB I have (M4A79T Deluxe) has Chan Fan-1 and Chan Fan-2 connectors. These are 3 pin connections, and I have tried both those for the H50 pump. The regular CPU-Fan connection is a 4 pin connection and that's where I connected the H50 fan as per directions.

That same 4 pin CPU-Fan connection is fine when the stock HS/Fan is used. Why wouldn't it give the same voltage to the H50 fan as it does to the stock HS/Fan ? I agree that the rpm's for the H50 should be higher but I don't think there is much I can do with the on-board 3 pin chan fan connections voltage.

The H50 runs fine, but it sure doesn't do any better than the stock HS/Fan ??

redwagon...

If that's what Corsair suggests, then why pay a bunch of $$ for temps that are very close to what the default Processor HS/Fan gives you ??? Granted the H50 works fine but when one goes to a system like that, I certainly expected a better showing.

Possibly a different case, a different fan arrangement, a different CPU and a different video card might make a difference.

Frank...

Well, It could be alot of things. Your fan speeds, the temp inside your room and case, parts in your case that give off alot of heat, defective H50, etc. By the way, the thermal paste on the H50 takes awhile to cure. Mine took 3 days until I saw significant drops in temperatures.

Bro, if you go through mine and Mike's post, we're going throught he same thing as you.

I got my first unit replaced and temps decreased by nearly 10 degrees. A lot of these were not made the same. I noticed the second one I got was a higher batch number and the inside packaging was recyclable as opposed to my first one that was plastic packaging.

But idle isn't where these things shine, it's the load that matters. Compare load temps and you should*** see an increase. If you don't hit 70 degrees on a i7 at 100 degrees celsius load, it means the h50 is working and you can overclock it :) I use that as a reference point

Yes correct, as long as your LOAD temperatures do not go over 65c with this I guess it's fine. The Corsair H50 was not marketed to go up against real watercooling but high end air coolers. It does its job if it keeps your LOAD temperatures to something reasonable like 50-60c. while removing the loudness of aircoolers. Try not to worry so much about your IDLE temperatures since they aren't as important as LOAD.

Though, I am not that satisfied with my H50 at the moment. Still have some minor adjustment to do such as replace both fans with better ones, maybe the Noctua. I have not really overclocked my CPU, but my max load temp on a hot day is 60c. On a cool day it's 50c.

Heres my temps (AFTER my thermal paste has cured) on a cool day (I think their pretty decent)

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/6517/temps.png

Well, It could be alot of things. Your fan speeds, the temp inside your room and case, parts in your case that give off alot of heat, defective H50, etc. By the way, the thermal paste on the H50 takes awhile to cure. Mine took 3 days until I saw significant drops in temperatures.

Yes correct, as long as your LOAD temperatures do not go over 65c with this I guess it's fine. The Corsair H50 was not marketed to go up against real watercooling but high end air coolers. It does its job if it keeps your LOAD temperatures to something reasonable like 50-60c. while removing the loudness of aircoolers. Try not to worry so much about your IDLE temperatures since they aren't as important as LOAD.

Though, I am not that satisfied with my H50 at the moment. Still have some minor adjustment to do such as replace both fans with better ones, maybe the Noctua. I have not really overclocked my CPU, but my max load temp on a hot day is 60c. On a cool day it's 50c.

Heres my temps (AFTER my thermal paste has cured) on a cool day (I think their pretty decent)

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/6517/temps.png

Holy Moly !! Those CPU and MB (system) temps are amazing !! If my H50 gave those kinds of temps, I would be one happy camper for sure.

On another computer, the best I have ever done is CPU 34C and MB 28C. But that computer does not run the H50. Just a great case and great fans placed and doing their jobs.

redwagon...

I agree that the rpm's for the H50 should be higher but I don't think there is much I can do with the on-board 3 pin chan fan connections voltage

double check the bios to make sure all fan controls are set to 100%

good luck. you can also get a molex adapter and run it off the PSU to be sure and look for a temp difference?

if not i would ask for an RMA to get a full speed pump.

the shin etsu paste on the h50 has no cure time

the shin etsu paste on the h50 has no cure time

That maybe so for your experience. My temperatures were in the high 45c-50c on IDLE. After a few days, they have drastically decreased to the low 30c-35c on IDLE. I did not adjust any fans, add any fans, or change the ambient room temperature ;):

I have a Phenom II 955 Black which (at standard 3.2Ghz) used to idle at 32/33 degrees on a Zalman CPNS9700 LED cooler - Since switching over to the HL50 (now overclocked to 3.6Ghz) it's idling at 27 degrees - on an AMD based motherboard you need to turn off Cool'N'Quiet (so your fans including the pump run at 100%) and this should sort it.

I can't seem to get my CPU any hotter than 49 degrees now -even after running Terragen 2 rendering for 18 hours solid with the CPU flat out!

I have a Phenom II 955 Black which (at standard 3.2Ghz) used to idle at 32/33 degrees on a Zalman CPNS9700 LED cooler - Since switching over to the HL50 (now overclocked to 3.6Ghz) it's idling at 27 degrees - on an AMD based motherboard you need to turn off Cool'N'Quiet (so your fans including the pump run at 100%) and this should sort it.

I can't seem to get my CPU any hotter than 49 degrees now -even after running Terragen 2 rendering for 18 hours solid with the CPU flat out!

That's the same CPU I'm running (955 black). If you are OC'ing to 3.6MHz and only getting 27 C. that's out of this world. If I could do that I would run every computer I have with the H50 !!! :laughing:

One thing I did pick up from your post was regarding the "coolN'Quite". That makes sense.

redwagon...

Archived