Corsair Community

Do LED extension cables count as LED strip?

vegaspimp22

1.)Do the corsair RGB LED extension cables count as a qty when determining the number of strips allowed when connecting to a node pro, (4 strips allowed per channel), so is a extension counted as 1 of the 4 allowed?

2.) Is there a max number of extensions allowed? I dont need 20 of them, lol, but I may need 4 or so in a chain to reach the other side of my build, and Im hoping it doesnt count in my 4 max limit.

3.) IF you cant buy other companies extensions, why dont they sell them by themselves, especially if you already have enough LEDs, and the extenstion kit is expensive.....

1.)Do the corsair RGB LED extension cables count as a qty when determining the number of strips allowed when connecting to a node pro, (4 strips allowed per channel), so is a extension counted as 1 of the 4 allowed?

No, they don't count as a strip.

2.) Is there a max number of extensions allowed? I dont need 20 of them, lol, but I may need 4 or so in a chain to reach the other side of my build, and Im hoping it doesnt count in my 4 max limit.

Hmmm ... dunno. I would assume that there is but it should be pretty high.

3.) IF you cant buy other companies extensions, why dont they sell them by themselves, especially if you already have enough LEDs, and the extenstion kit is expensive.....

Take a look at the link in my signature to make your own extension cables. Now, it focuses on the fans but the same process (with the 3 pin headers specified in the post) will work for the strips.

holy moly batman that looks complicated. i dont have a electrical degree from harvard over here. lol, but thanks so much for taking the time to respond!!!

Nah, it's really not that bad. I don't have an EE degree either ... was an English Lit major once upon a long time ago. BUT ... I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night so there's that ... :roll:

2.) Is there a max number of extensions allowed?

I can confirm it works fine with more than 4.. in fact i can confirm it works with 8.. and if you really want to push the point i still have another 16 i could add in?? lol

Take a look at the link in my signature to make your own extension cables. Now, it focuses on the fans but the same process (with the 3 pin headers specified in the post) will work for the strips.

But this is the best option.. custom length.. much tidier and options of multiple ext's in one cable... it's the future

Yeah I have made a few extensions for the LNP LED strips in my time and I think my longest is about 2m long with 2 led strips on the end of it, didn't seem to have an issue with that but there will be a limit on the distance the current can be sent down the cable. I know its not the same but a USB cable is limited to a maximum length of 3m - 5m depending on the type or port so I would think this would be similar being that they share the same voltages. In other words, go crazy you will probably be fine!

Archived