Corsair Community

SSD SMART info shows 100ºC on Linux

Akronix

Hi!

I've recently bought a Corsair Force LE SSD 240GB drive. I've installed it on my PC and, before to insert anything into it, checked for errors and done some benchmark test. Everything seems to be OK, but the temperature. SMART data says that it is always at 100ºC (212ºF); which is, of course, too much.

This is on Linux, because I've tried booting with windows 8 and it showed a more reasonable temp (30º or so).

I guess this is related to "Interpreting SMART Data on Corsair SSDs". So I should not panic; But, is there any option to get the real temperature info? maybe somehow upgrading the firmware (must be a for-Linux solution)?

I attach a screen-shot with the temperature data I get displayed.

465246930_Capturadepantallade2016-12-2619-40-33.thumb.png.33ae609194e0fb7ddc3e95cb4bffb6f1.png

I've installed hddtemp package and it shows something more realistic:

> $ sudo hddtemp /dev/sda

/dev/sda: Corsair Force LE SSD: 30°C

But It never moves from that 30ºC, even under a hard reading benchmark; so I'm still not sure if that's actual data.

Yeah, in my laptop I have a Samsung EVO SSD drive and it's usually at 46ºC (psensors info), but It reaches 50ºC under the same benchmark I did in the Corsair one.

Btw, curiously hddtemp says that there's no sensor for the samsung one, meanwhile psensors and smart data (gnome-disk-utility) looks to display a rather accurate temperature.

These different outputs and behaviours are confusing. In case Corsair SSD doesn't have any sensors, why it doesn't just states that instead of showing 100ºC? something like NO DATA or, at least, 0ºC?

Seeing 100 ºC is awkward ('-_-)

Archived