Corsair Community

Recieved AX760 via Warranty - Serious Whining

IcyComp

The day before Thanksgiving, my AX750 had decided to stop working. I sent a support ticket in Corsair, and a RMA was processed. Because they changed the AX750 to AX760, I received that unit instead. After rebuilding my PC using the AX760 I noticed there is a loud, high pitched frequency coming from the power supply as long as the switch is in the on position. I did some searching, and tried disabling any power saving options from my BIOS, but they didn't stop any of the noise. The noise does not get louder/quieter depending on the computer load, it's always the same tone. Even if the PC is off (with the PSU switch still on) it makes the noise, and it's highly annoying. If I flip the PSU switch, the sound will slowly fade out until it is gone.

I'm prone to high frequency noises, and I'm not entirely sure if this is a normal sound that most people can't hear, or if something is wrong. When gaming on the PC (high load) I would say the PSU whine is louder than my 5 case fans and GPU fan combined, not that they are super loud, but annoying nonetheless. From a couple posts I've seen online, some people said it will fade after a while. I've given it a few days, but I don't want to wait long enough to the point where if I do need to send this back, I'll run into trouble with the support department for not mentioning it earlier.

What would be the best course of action in this case?

• Corsair Employee

It's probably the X capacitors on the primary filtering stage. The buzz doesn't change because the cap is vibrating either because of the input power. Make sure your outlet has a good ground. Try different outlets, etc.

Alternately, the noise could be coming from the +5VSB transformer, but then the noise would change as +5VSB load changes. You can test this by unplugging or plugging in more USB devices.

It's probably the X capacitors on the primary filtering stage. The buzz doesn't change because the cap is vibrating either because of the input power. Make sure your outlet has a good ground. Try different outlets, etc.

Alternately, the noise could be coming from the +5VSB transformer, but then the noise would change as +5VSB load changes. You can test this by unplugging or plugging in more USB devices.

So I tried what you said, first I took a couple of portable hard drives and plugged them into my case's USB ports. I heard no difference in the tone the power supply made. I proceeded to unplug the PC, and put it in an outlet on the other side of the house, but the tone was exactly the same as before. When I was putting the PC in the original location, as I plugged in my mouse into the motherboard's USB socket I noticed that the noise from the PSU became a higher frequency. (Volume remained the same, only the frequency changed.)

For the most part, I consider myself tech-savy, but I don't know the inner workings of a PSU. What would this imply?

• Corsair Employee

Just means that the X capacitor has its film wound so loosely that it's going to vibrate, causing the high frequency noise, no matter what.

I hate saying this, but you might want to RMA it if the sound bothers you.

I'd ask for either an HX750i (my personal favorite) or an AX760i to replace it as more often than not, when I see someone replace one Seasonic based PSU for another one, they tend to run into the same "whining" problems. But that's my own personal 2 cents. Nothing official. A lot of people absolutely love their Seasonic based PSUs.

The buzz doesn't change because the cap is vibrating either because of the input power. Make sure your outlet has a good ground. Try different outlets, etc.

Is it known what causes a cap to vibrate? I mean, is this something that will never be fixed on an inner level and not simply strapping some tape? I just swapped a BeQuiet Dark Power Pro for a Corsair RM, both advertised as coil whine free and both have coil whine at idle, I really doubt I might be that unlucky, might I...?

Also I asked a technician to check my outlet some months ago because the cord was giving me shocks every time I tried to plug it to the PC, but he told me everything was fine...

• Corsair Employee
Is it known what causes a cap to vibrate? I mean, is this something that will never be fixed on an inner level and not simply strapping some tape?

It's the film INSIDE the capacitor. So the problem is at the capacitor manufacturer's facility. The solution could be as easy as switching to a capacitor manufacturer that has the ability to wind the film tighter. But slapping a bunch of tape on the cap isn't going to prevent the internal vibration.

I just swapped a BeQuiet Dark Power Pro for a Corsair RM, both advertised as coil whine free and both have coil whine at idle, I really doubt I might be that unlucky, might I...?

Are you sure the noise is coming from the PSU?

When does the noise happen? All the time no matter what the load, like the OP's problem, or only at certain loads?

Also I asked a technician to check my outlet some months ago because the cord was giving me shocks every time I tried to plug it to the PC, but he told me everything was fine...

Doesn't sound fine to me. Sounds like your outlet's aren't grounded. Don't call the technician back, just go to the store and buy a simple outlet tester.

Archived