H115i Platinum: USB reconnect every now and then, lighting goes crazy

momorious

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The h100i platinum SE is "end of life" on Corsair's main UK partner site, and no longer for sale by Corsair on their site.

A response from a staffer would be super helpful at this stage

Hope they don't make it "end of life" because they can't fix it and don't want to recall it. h100i platinum SE is still a very young and new product and that's one of the reasons I bought it because I want future support. But now I'm afraid I won't have any.

Hope they don't make it "end of life" because they can't fix it and don't want to recall it. h100i platinum SE is still a very young and new product and that's one of the reasons I bought it because I want future support. But now I'm afraid I won't have any.

Where on earth do you get this idea?

Look ... they are working on the issue. Actively. Unfortunately, these things do not happen overnight.

Look ... they are working on the issue. Actively. Unfortunately, these things do not happen overnight.

Or apparently in over 3 months.

When EA, of all companies, can fix a colossal F up relatively quickly, then Corsair should be able to fix this in the time they have had, however long that is exactly seeing as there have been multiple numbers thrown out.

But unless you are saying that particular line as a representative of Corsair (yes I can read your signature) then you might want to tone back the statements you cannot provide evidence of. Until someone, OFFICIAL, says something in regards to this issue, your words ring hollow and make you sound like a sycophant. It's just the way it is. Unless of course you are saying that as a rep for Corsair. Which, if that's case, I retract that statement.

You cannot deny that this issue looks extremely bad for Corsair. I would apologize for the harshness of my comments but, well, that would only be true if this situation was not occurring. At what point does one say enough is enough and comes to the determination that a company doesn't GAS about the people who buy their products? In my case its when a problem goes past the realm of a timely fix and the absolute disrespect shown towards the community.

They sell a product with feature set A-B-C-D and then in an update they break feature D, and then go silent.

They blame another program for the issue, and while I admit this is not unheard of, but continue to sell the product in a state of functionality that appears to violate many things, the least of which is their own marketing for said product.

They have people who keep returning an cooler as faulty using the RMA process when the cooler is not faulty. Again a batch of coolers could very well be faulty, but due to the widespread nature of this problem across product lines, I doubt it.

There are people both here and on Reddit who have been looking at getting a water cooler for their PC and are seeing just how long this issue has been going on. They see the lack of communication. They get to read up on what those of us trying to get accountability and are going a different route with their money.

All of this costs a company money, and it adds up quickly. Lost sales, lost customers and loss of faith, just to name a few. About the only way this could be worse is if Corsair went bankrupt, therefore eliminating the possibility of an official fix ever happening.

So, until such time as this is fixed, I hold Corsair responsible in this particular case and will continue to hold their nose to the grind stone in the hopes that someone at Corsair pulls their head out of the sand and takes this seriously. And please don't give me the "they are working on it line", as I am going to go out on a limb and say I doubt you would be happy with this if it was something that was happening to you. Case in point the old Intel P3 1.13GHz bug. They stonewalled and black listed Tom's Hardware when he found this issue. It's a fun read. Oh yeah I almost forgot spoiler alert, Intel also kept stating the issue wasn't the processor but with something else entirely. Does this sound familiar? And what was the end result of this issue?

A mass recall of said processor. This has progressed from SNAFU, skipped TARFU and went straight to FUBAR.

*Situation Normal, All Fd Up

*Things Are Really Fd Up

*Fd Up Beyond All Repair

Edited by Waukeen

Here's the thing. No, I'm not a Corsair employee or a rep. But I do have some insight that you don't have as I'm on the customer beta team. I can't share a lot of that due to NDA.

There has been communication - James has responded to this thread earlier. However, they've been busy working on this and other things. So ... would you prefer to wait longer for a fix so that they can respond to every post on here? Or would you rather that they work on identifying, understanding and then resolving the issue? And keep in mind that as high profile of an issue that this is (and it is) and as widespread as it is (and it is), it's not across the board.

As for it being something that happened to me ... it has happened to me. And it happened to me before this thread started. Now, before this thread, I had thought that it might have been a bad cooler - it hadn't happened to anyone else - but when I saw this pop up, I thought "uh-oh, it's not just me". Since then, it's been happening to others on the beta team since as well. Now, I worked around it by setting the cooler effects to static (lame, I know). Then I was able to add some very mild effects with only occasional disconnects. Now, I'm running momorious' configuration and I've not had a disconnect in a couple of days. So yeah, they are working on it. Progress is being made. It's not ready yet. But it will be. I can't tell you when this build will be released; it may be the next one or the one after that. But yes, it's being taken seriously. All of us on the beta team that have had this issue are reporting back pretty much daily. So far, it looks good. [And that's probably more than I'm supposed to say.]

Now ... you want to sit here and rant and rave. I get it. You want to call me names (though I don't think that syncophant means what you think it means ... it seems you mean it as an insult, but it's cool.) Trust me ... I get the frustration. You don't have all the information and that's frustrating ... I get that too. You've gotta trust some person on the internet that you don't know and that isn't a Corsair rep and that feels icky. I get that too. But your ranting and raving won't fix things any sooner. Nor will attacking me. In the meantime, I hope it makes you feel a little better.

As far as the Intel comparison ... no one is being blacklisted. No one is being stonewalled. I fail to see the parallel.

Wow, glad I found this thread. Since bought and installed, mine is acting weird as well. Sometimes you hear the Windows USB Disconnecting sound...at first, I didn't know it was and kept wondering, then I observe and when the sound comes on, the light on the pump blinks like it loses power for just split second. Each time the sound comes on, the light acts the same way. I unplugged the USB cable to the pump and the problem goes away. As soon as I insert the USB cable back on, the sound starts coming. It happens one or two minutes apart. Should I return it for different one and see if the problem goes away?

Wow, glad I found this thread. Since bought and installed, mine is acting weird as well. Sometimes you hear the Windows USB Disconnecting sound...at first, I didn't know it was and kept wondering, then I observe and when the sound comes on, the light on the pump blinks like it loses power for just split second. Each time the sound comes on, the light acts the same way. I unplugged the USB cable to the pump and the problem goes away. As soon as I insert the USB cable back on, the sound starts coming. It happens one or two minutes apart. Should I return it for different one and see if the problem goes away?

NO!

This is not a hardware issue, it's a software issue with iCUE! Replacement is useless, I have 7 replacements and EVERY unit did the same usb disconnect.

NO!

This is not a hardware issue, it's a software issue with iCUE! Replacement is useless, I have 7 replacements and EVERY unit did the same usb disconnect.

Now, when I try to update the firmware (from 1.00.32 to 1.00.33), it keeps going forever. I know the message says not to turn off the PC or restart the software, but when it goes on for 5 minutes or longer and still going, I don't think that's right. So, I turned off the PC. Restart the Update and it does the same thing. Still keeps on saying "Updating..." No good.

After a PC restart, go back in iCue and the version 1.00.32 remains. Bad one?

Edited by jcniest5

NO!

This doesn't prove that its not a hardware issue. I think quite the opposite.

This doesn't prove that its not a hardware issue. I think quite the opposite.

Well, 7 out of 7 units all have the same issue. It's VERY unlikely that all units are faulty as all came directly from Corsair, one even pretestet in their HQ in the USA.

Also, as Betatesters are reporting, a fix will come with either the next or the May release so this totally suggests that this issue is related to software, not hardware.

a fix will come with either the next or the May release so this totally suggests that this issue is related to software, not hardware.

A fix may come in that timeframe. It looks good right now.

And ... this doesn't mean that it's a 100% software issue. I don't think that it's completely a software issue, TBH. However, it's sometimes possible to find workarounds for hardware issues in software.

Well, 7 out of 7 units all have the same issue. It's VERY unlikely that all units are faulty as all came directly from Corsair, one even pretestet in their HQ in the USA.

Also, as Betatesters are reporting, a fix will come with either the next or the May release so this totally suggests that this issue is related to software, not hardware.

It seems like you are referring to hardware issue as in broken. 7 of 7 couldn't all be broken? I'm talking about all the pumps have a design flaw, like we'll soon see a V2 model.

It seems like you are referring to hardware issue as in broken. 7 of 7 couldn't all be broken? I'm talking about all the pumps have a design flaw, like we'll soon see a V2 model.

If a v2 model will be released, ALL v1 users should get the v2 as a replacement for sure...

Okay, I was troubleshooting another issue on my PC and by accident I found out that the "Continuously Updating...." without success was due to Windows Fast Start option turned ON, thus resulting in a soft Shutdown. Somehow un-checking the Fast Start option in Windows gives the PC a complete shutdown and I was able to Update the firmware to version 1.00.33 successfully. So far no USB Disconnecting sound anymore. Hope it's good for now.

Long yes but needed to point out holes.

Where to start.

So first, I believe I stated that I can read your signature. I also know about NDAs and their limitations, BUT, unless you are stating that Corsair is working on it as a representative, your words ring hollow. As for the sycophant comment, (BTW you spelled sycophant wrong) I'm calling it as I see it, no insult, because it sure seems the case here. By saying "they are working on it", unless you are a rep for Corsair, then it sure seems to me like you are trying to run interference to keep this from blowing up completely. Let them fight their own battles until such time that you draw a paycheck from them.

As for the post by James, really? You're going to point at that as effective customer support and communication? Or is it when we call with a ticket about this and get told to try something, which doesn't work mind you, and yet they continue to remain silent. Oh, before I forget this situation has been going on for at least 3 months, likely longer, without a fix in sight. That is rather telling right there.

It's happening to you, that's nice. But I forget your comment on it happening with a H115i, then you had a second one and its fine. Suddenly is happening again to you and others on the beta team. So which is it? It's either affecting you or it isn't. I'm not going to quote all your posts in this thread about it, but I can if you would like the proof of that statement.

The fix, isn't a fix. The best way to think of that is like saying "Well the brakes on your car failed but we cant fix it so keep using the E-brake until we figure this out". As for momorious' (and more power to them in getting it working on their end, sorta) and what has worked for him, how do I put this, IT STILL HAPPENS WITH A STATIC LIGHT SETUP. Maybe thats just me, but my point stands, what works for one person does not mean it will work for another.

It's being taken seriously, HAH. I saw a Bioware employee where the help they gave was to post a Doge meme to people with serious technical support issues, and while this was more of a slap in the face by EAWare, at least they made an appearance. Effective communication with the people who have bought your products is key to a good customer experience. Claiming that it would delay a fix is just BS. It doesn't take long to do a quick post to keep people up to speed, and to show people they are taking this seriously. So far, we have had 1 post in regards to this thread from someone over at Corsair. Since then, silence and stonewalling. Not to mention how hard is it to delegate someone that could keep people informed. A community liaison can work wonders. Best part is it doesn't take anyone away from their other jobs as that's their job. To keep the peace and keep people informed so the people that need to focus on their work can do so. Not to mention you stating that they are working on this and other things is just...wow. When you have a problem with something, a problem that could cost people their computer, you don't add more stuff. You fix the problem first, THEN AND ONLY THEN do you add more stuff. Pretty sure I am not the only one here who would rather this be fixed first before new stuff is added.

Rant and Rave...That's rich. Do you really get the frustration? Do you? How about taking the insider information you have and putting it aside and look at this from the viewpoint of people who have spent their money on something only to find it has a major issue. Look at this from the viewpoint of a customer that is looking for help and all they see from a company is silence. Doesn't look very good does it? Kinda piss you off? Good. Then you know how we feel. If it doesn't then you clearly don't get it.

I don't have any problems taking advice from someone if they provide something that works and don't appear to be a complete fan boy. I just don't trust someone who has flip flopped several times on it happening then not happening to them. So far you've gone back and forth and led people to possibly believe it's some other reason than what it is. Not to mention you have conveniently ignored something else I have mentioned here, that this is happening with more than the coolers since I first found this thread BEFORE I had the H100i installed. That doesn't bode well for peoples credibility when you cherry pick from issues.

As for the Intel reference it wasn't a parallel I was drawing, it was to show proof of what happens when a company doesn't admit they screwed up. But the stonewalling is still a real thing even if people aren't getting blacklisted. I don't expect people to, but when a problem is happening and is being handled as this has been (0 accountability, 0 feedback, 0 respect for the community) then you're bloody right I get irritated.

By claiming that you are not sold on it NOT being a hardware issue, means you are either incompetent or not seeing the problem. You state that this didn't occur for a while when you were "testing" it, then something changed and it started happening. Unless Corsair sent you a redesigned unit with new internals, this issue is likely at the firmware level, because, wait for it....

Ive had it happen on a CoPro as well. And you cannot blame this on other hardware. The systems that this occurs on are so varied that they can't ALL have the same issue. Could this be OS related, possible but unlikely since you said it yourself that it didn't happen at the start.

I do have to thank you though. You've just about convinced me to look harder into the options available to get this resolved. Gotta love California. And I chose that link since it puts it in plain English versus trying to read legalese. But long story short it deals with the merchantability of an item and it being advertised and sold with certain features. This situation falls under it.

Edited by Waukeen

Okay, I was troubleshooting another issue on my PC and by accident I found out that the "Continuously Updating...." without success was due to Windows Fast Start option turned ON, thus resulting in a soft Shutdown. Somehow un-checking the Fast Start option in Windows gives the PC a complete shutdown and I was able to Update the firmware to version 1.00.33 successfully. So far no USB Disconnecting sound anymore. Hope it's good for now.

The reason why fast start was likely doing that is because it uses hibernate and sleep to allow the computer to boot up into Windows faster. My guess is it wasn't able to fully shut down and allow stuff to update as it should, glad you found that for you, but if you turn on the Rainbow Wave, or something else that pushes the system, it does the issue still happen?

The reason why fast start was likely doing that is because it uses hibernate and sleep to allow the computer to boot up into Windows faster. My guess is it wasn't able to fully shut down and allow stuff to update as it should, glad you found that for you, but if you turn on the Rainbow Wave, or something else that pushes the system, it does the issue still happen?

Yeap, as soon as run AIDA64 to stress the CPU, the disconnection comes back. Sometimes it makes the light on the cooler go crazy as well. I should return it for different one, just to verify other people's finding... Is it the pump/cooler or is it the software/USB? It's hard to tell. A new one will tell.

Edited by jcniest5

An update: I went and exchanged my first one for a new one. Very unfortunately, a brand new one didn't fix the USB disconnecting problem.

In fact, it reproduces the same problem in the same way. Now, I hope Corsair make it their priority to figure why it's doing this. I'm just not sure if I should hang on to this or return it for a different model or brand. It's getting to me.

Okay, now it's acting crazy again! I'm returning it back to MC tomorrow and will look elsewhere to other brands for AIO watercooling until Corsair remedies this issue. Unit is beautiful, but this issue is driving me nuts.

It's starting to seem like the only way to get this on the very top of the priority list is to speak with the wallet if you are able. For those of us who cannot do so, we can only rant and rave apparently. And a suggestion, I would tell that store about the issue.

It's starting to seem like the only way to get this on the very top of the priority list is to speak with the wallet if you are able. For those of us who cannot do so, we can only rant and rave apparently. And a suggestion, I would tell that store about the issue.

The H115i Pro RGB doesn't seem to have this problem, it may be what I will switch to.