Corsair Community

My SSD Force LE 120gb doesn't boot on my Mac

renattomd

I have a mackbook white (early 2011) and would like to run OS X El Capitan on my SSD Force LE (model CSSD-F120GBLEB), but it just does not boot when it's plugged on the SATA cable: the loading bar takes an insane amount of time to complete and, when it's full, it just freezes.

It works only when is plugged on a sata-usb conversor, but, of course, i'd like to run it on macbook's sata.

I've already tried lots of different installations with the SSD running on usb (tried fresh install from pendrive and dvd and clone my HDD to my SSD), but nothing seems to work.

Any help or tip?

Thanks in advice,

Renatto

hej there, i have unfortunately no magic answer for you since we're sitting in the same boat.

i read in another forum though that the problem could be fixed by downgrading (sic.) the firmware. cloning programs and the diskutility informed me that the ssd (force le) is non bootable, so i believe there is a compatability problem.

let me know if you were able to fix your boot problems somehow.

screen_sdd_nonboot.tiff

carbon_copy_cloner_info.tiff

Have you tried a clean install of OSX on the SSD while plugged internally inside the Mac?

I've tried that with DVD (Snow Leopard) and USB drive (Yosemite and El Capitan), but it goes really really slow - like more than 19 hours.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem but with a 15 inch macbook pro(mid 2009). I've tried everything - dvd install, bootable usb install, cloning drives. Everything works well on the ssd, however only when booting from a usb enclosure. SSD does not boot from internal SATA connection.

If I choose to boot from the ssd(when mounted internally), it takes forever to load(still on the apple screen) and freezes at the end. I haven't contacted anyone yet since I know that the drive is functional and so is my mac's hardware. I've looked around for a solution with no success.

Hope you get yours to work so that I can get mine to work as well xD

This is really frustrating... -_-

Similar problem for me, except mine wont run whether I plug it into an external enclosure or an internal SATA. When I plug it into an external enclosure it doesn't register on the BIOS nor USB.

• 2 weeks later...

short:

I also had a boot issue and it got solved by using an older Disk Utility, installed 10.6, it booted ok so then I erased the partition and installed "el capitan" without issues.

not sure if the issue was solved because the use of an old disk utility or if when using the old disk utility I choose to create a partition instead of the "erase" option over the entire device

long:

not sure if I had the same issue than you, but Last week I got a 240gb SSD Force LE and the "el capitan" installation failed at the very last step "failed to bless the disk" (or so)

I tried to boot it anyway and got a "prohibit" simbol, tried to install again, same thing, the installation goes ok but at the last bit says unable to bless.

also tried to set the startup disk by using the start up option on settings (booting with the original disk on an external case) and I got the bless error again when selecting the ssd

So when I saw nobootinmycamp's comment (...non bootable...) cross my mind to try with and older version of osx, so I booted the iMac with an old snow leopard installation

when using the old disk utility provided by snow leopard to create the partition I was able to see a little blue margin being saved at the beginning of the partition, something I don't recall from when I did the format on the newer disk utility.

10.6 installation went without issues and was able to boot it, after that I booted with the capitan installation and erased the partition (without creating a full new schema) and the installation went good. I'm now on el capitan booting from internal sata on an iMac 2008/2009

not sure if the issue was solved because the use of an old disk utility or if when using the old disk utility I choose to create a partition instead of the "erase" option over the entire device

what I'm sure is that when it was non booteable the entire disk was shown as "one thing" instead of being shown as a physical device with a sub item where the logic partition is..

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone

so, same as you my fresh new ssd hard drive corsair force LE 480Go doesn't want to boot in my macbook machine

I'm really disappointed.

Anyone except vmp999 succeed to boot his drive on mac ?

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have this problem also. I have a Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD.

I originally installed in in a 2011 13" MBP i7 2.8 and it works fine. I also tried it in a 2012 13" and 15" MBP and it worked fine in these machines.

I tried it in a 2008 to 2010 MBP - not every model but lots of 13" and some 15" MBP. The Corsair SSD did not work in any of these machines. It would start the boot process and then after some time crash.

Afterwards, I put in a Samsung 850 PRO 1TB SSD in the 2008 to 2012 MBP and it worked in all of these machines. I did this because I wanted to rule out the SATA drive cable which seem to fail.

This leads me to believe that it is the Corsair drive that is at fault here.

I contacted Corsair support and the asked me to reformat the drive as 'MBR'. I've yet to do that. Has anyone else been advised of this?

• 1 month later...

Hi, same problem with me.

i contacted corsair with the problem.

"My brand new SSD Force LE 240GB will not connect to the Macbook Pro 2010-model nobody through the SATA cable inside. I've changed the SATA cable 2 times but the SSD will not continue after loading the Apple logo during boot. however, the SSD does work perfect when i boot it through USB dock. The 2 new SATA cables work perfect with the original Apple HDD, but not with your Corsair Force LE SSD drive."

their answer was this: "There's nothing we can advise you to do if the SSD is shown to work outside of the system correctly."

So thats that.

Archived