Corsair Community

Discussion: Who would have taken less colors and no flickering?

delslow

NVM, LOOKS LIKE THIS OPTION WAS EXPLORED BUT DECIDED IT "WASN'T VIABLE" BY THE BETA TEAM. /end thread

Ideally, I'd have wanted the full spectrum and no flickering. Since that is now an IMPOSSIBILITY, could we maybe get an option for less colors and zero flickering (not 512 less, but a bit less)?

Who would prefer a few less colors and zero flickering?

/raises hand

(I've pretty much made up my mind to return this thing now, but I have to replace all the keycaps back to factory and I'm lazy. Does Corsair pay for the shipping or am I out of luck there as well?)

edit: How was this even approved? The flickering is vomit inducing. I've turned off all animation and just gone with solid colors for now. I refuse to go back to 512 out of sheer stubbornness.

edit2: First part is just white background (i know it looks pinkish) and red "glowing" keys. Second part is when I click on 16.8 million mode. Yikes!

[ame]

[/ame]

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First off being able to change the static colors of keys is awesome and I would probably be happy even without the animations but because they added this option it should work as promised.

Doubling up from 8 bit (512 values) to 16bit (65535 values) would be awesome and way enough for most of us. SCREW the other 16711680 values we currently have.

Doubling up from 8 bit (512 values) to 16bit (65535 values) would be awesome and way enough for most of us. SCREW the other 16711680 values we currently have.

Yeah, I'm all for a reduced color palette that's still greater than 512 colors and doesn't have the flickering.

I'd definitely be willing to trade off the full 16.8m colour range for reduced flickering. As I said in another thread:

I imagine most users would be willing to halve the number of colours to remove or reduce the flickering. If reducing colours would help, perhaps Corsair could add 8.4m and 4.2m tick boxes underneath the 16.8m option in CUE?

I'd have to agree with you guys, to be honest I was fine with small colour palette but this flickering is way worse. I can't see how this would even be a sensible trade off. Even if were just talking multiples of the existing 512 colours (not even a million colours) we'd be fine.

I will admit though that the flickering is not very noticeable on the smaller profiles so maybe well have to start creating more smaller/efficient profiles but in some cases I can't see this being done.

I will admit though that the flickering is not very noticeable on the smaller profiles so maybe well have to start creating more smaller/efficient profiles but in some cases I can't see this being done.

The profile I'm using is pretty simple. I made the whole keyboard a static white, and then added a very simple gradient effect on a few keys. It can't be THAT taxing on the hardware.

The profile I'm using is pretty simple. I made the whole keyboard a static white, and then added a very simple gradient effect on a few keys. It can't be THAT taxing on the hardware.

It is, because I believe that the entire colour palette has to be rewritten "on the fly", even when a single key is changing colour.

There should be a way of achieving smooth 16.8million colour animation. Maybe it's just a case of using a more powerful CPU, or it might be that a different choice/number of LED drivers might make the task easier. Essentially the hardware in these keyboards is being pushed too far to provide the lighting experience most of us were expecting.

To me the 16.8m option is useless, I set all my keys to background solid blue, then did a SINGLE key gradient to black. This one key going to black across 10sec causes every key on my keyboard to flicker. So its either terrible gradients at 512colors or a rave at 16.8m......

I struggling to even see the flickering, I've been staring at my keyboard for the last 5 mins, I'm not too sure if it is or not ... (and yes I have 16mill colors enabled, profile is the default rainbow one).

I struggling to even see the flickering, I've been staring at my keyboard for the last 5 mins, I'm not too sure if it is or not ... (and yes I have 16mill colors enabled, profile is the default rainbow one).

If a lot of keys are changing colour at the same time, the flickering is kind of "masked".

If you set one, or just a few keys to change colour (over a period of time, say when a key is pressed), then you'll probably notice the other static keys flickering as the colour change takes place.

It might not be a deal breaker for some, but it certainly takes the edge off what could and should have been an excellent keyboard.

Does anybody know or have an opinion on if it would be possible to have static lighting that isn't affected by the flickering? Like, would it be possible for the program to tell the keyboard, "This key is white and don't change it until I tell you to."

Jesus you need to have patience, how many bios updates does a motherboard have before it works right with no problems? do you send that back for a refund?

Keyboard was released... 8 months ago? I believe they had enough patience already.

On topic, I would have taken 16 bit color (65k) and no flickering.

Jesus you need to have patience, how many bios updates does a motherboard have before it works right with no problems? do you send that back for a refund?

They've stated that the flicker is a permanent fixture. It cannot be fixed. They chose the wrong hardware. They had some official statement from the beta forums but it got deleted because it violated their internal NDA.

Long story, short: 16.8mil and flickering is staying. It can't be fixed. That's why people are suggesting to cut the number of colors down until flickering stops.

i mean as if 512 colours isnt enough anyway? its a keyboard not an lcd screen, it should have been advertised as 16.8m colours (static only no animations)

what do people expect to do on it, draw 4k pictures?

Might as well close this thread now. Looks like less colors with no flickering is not even an option according to the other thread. I'm gonna return this thing and wait for V2 of the keyboard. Even then, I'll wait to see if people really get what they are paying for before even considering that.

i mean as if 512 colours isnt enough anyway? its a keyboard not an lcd screen, it should have been advertised as 16.8m colours (static only no animations)

That would have been a fair statement. Or to advertise it as "multi color" just like they are doing now.

People expect what the manufacturer told them to expect, nothing more.

what do people expect to do on it, draw 4k pictures?

No. I expected it to do what Corsair said it would do.

I kept my side of the deal (gave them the money they asked for the product), they tried to keep their side of the deal, which took over six months, but seem to have failed.

I might hang on for a few more months, just to see what happens. I'm fairly sure the retailer I bought my K70 RGB from will give me a full refund if I request it.

No. I expected it to do what Corsair said it would do.

I kept my side of the deal (gave them the money they asked for the product), they tried to keep their side of the deal, which took over six months, but seem to have failed.

I might hang on for a few more months, just to see what happens. I'm fairly sure the retailer I bought my K70 RGB from will give me a full refund if I request it.

Thats what I'm doing too, keep hold of it for a few months to see where the competition is at when I send it back. Seeing as I live in the UK I have 100% confidence of getting my money back as under our sales of goods act it's not anywhere near "as advertised".

Thats what I'm doing too, keep hold of it for a few months to see where the competition is at when I send it back. Seeing as I live in the UK I have 100% confidence of getting my money back as under our sales of goods act it's not anywhere near "as advertised".

I paid £140 for my K70, it's now closer to £160 if you want to buy one. Corsair seem to have rushed the release to gain an advantage over their competitors. They've asked their customers to be patient, which many of us have been, while they try do what they should have done before taking our money.

I like the actual hardware, but I don't like it's performance or trust the company. I own a couple of their other products, which have been reliable and perform as expected. This keyboard hasn't been reliable, and doesn't perform as expected. Those are the facts, like it or not.

Archived