Corsair Community

F60 in RAID 500Mb+

Well I bought one F60 and it rocked, so I bought another, RAIDed it as usual for me and was staggerd to see 500Mb+ speeds. feels about right as my RAID is very snappy. It boots in 50 secs, mostly bios, 15 secs from bios to desktop.

I've gotten myself in trouble though and wouldn't mind some help. I read about secure erase and HAD to know if it worked, even though I only had the RAID 1 week. Now the bios is saying SMART capable and status BAD, and SATA port 2,3 device error and I can't load W 7 on it anymore. I've spen 24hrs trying to fix the disks but no luck. They show up as Basic, Online Healthy partitions, as singles and RAIDed but I get error msgs every time I boot and can't load W 7 on them any more. Is there any way to repair them?

68025400_2xF60RAID.PNG.d35b1bcfdda39a838eada6e1c6b92453.PNG

• Corsair Employee

Split to your own thread!

I would break the RAID and then Do Not secure erase both drives and single drives in IDE mode with Parted Magic and test them one drive at a time as a second drive on that system. Please note you will need to use another HDD to boot the system. And you can use Accronis to image the drive/'s

Hi RAM GUY and thanks for your help. I tried secure erase again on my drives, this time in IDE mode but I still have those bios errors(smart capable & status bad SATA Port 2,3 device error) and am unable to use them as boot disks.

I saw on another product forum regarding SSD's with Sandforce controllers, that it is a bug that the controller firmware has with some motherboards. Something about overwriting the S.M.A.R.T data.

It seems it can be fixed by reflashing the SSD firmware. Would firmware be available for me to reflash my drives?

I tried secure erase again on my drives, this time in IDE mode but I still have those bios errors(smart capable & status bad SATA Port 2,3 device error) and am unable to use them as boot disks.
If you disable that smart, wont it let you but those drivers again in Raid array and then that Raid array to boot disk?

- If so after you have your operation system back, you may try to enable smart again if you like so and look what it says after that.

- Its hard to me belive that erasering disck you could make errors/bugs to firmware...

Edit: clerafication. You did secure eraser those disks one at the time(so both are done)?

Sry my English :/

Greetings, Mummy

Thanks for your advice, but disabling smart does not fix the problem or allow installation.

Reflashing Sandforce controller firmware can fix this issue according to another forum.

Both disks were secure erased one at a time.

If you disable that smart, wont it let you but those drivers again in Raid array and then that Raid array to boot disk?

- If so after you have your operation system back, you may try to enable smart again if you like so and look what it says after that.

- Its hard to me belive that erasering disck you could make errors/bugs to firmware...

Edit: clerafication. You did secure eraser those disks one at the time(so both are done)?

Sry my English :/

Greetings, Mummy

Ok, sound to me that i have to hold on secure erasering my disk's and that you may need to RMA them :(

btw, what software you use to secure eraser them?

pmagic

I regret secure erasing them.

Oh well.

I learned something.

• Corsair Employee
There should be no problem at all running parted Magic I use that application all the time. I would run it again and then try it again, if you still have problems try them on another system.

Hi RAM GUY. I reassemled my P5B Deluxe Core 2 duo and hooked up the F60's to it but still get S.M.A.R.T. Capable but Command Failed message. I secure erased them but no improvement. I put them back in the P6TD but the same error and unable to load Windows on them. What is my next step?

I just read of fireware update that just relese for same sandforce controllers drivers, but from different maker. Anyway, this is quote from it ""Fixed the secure erase operation to rebuild the SMART log directory information.""

So there maybe upcomeing FW from, Corsair?

• Corsair Employee

Please try and Disable Smart in the BIOS setup and see if that helps it seems there may be an issue with older BIOS versions and these newer drives.

Also did you send the drives in already if so where did you send them and what was the RMA number I want to test them.

Please try and Disable Smart in the BIOS setup and see if that helps it seems there may be an issue with older BIOS versions and these newer drives.

Also did you send the drives in already if so where did you send them and what was the RMA number I want to test them.

I did try disabling SMART in the bios for each drive but still got SATA Port 1,2 device error for each drive.

I think you are right, but the damage is done to the firmware (or SMART Log Dir info).

Information on another site suggests reflashing firmware fixes an issue where Sandforce firmware(or SMART Log) is damaged by secure erase(on some motherboards). I also tried updating the P6TD Deluxe bios but it did not fix the issue.

I did a separate RMA for each drive.

TSX Case #1567867 RMA # 1175016

TSX Case #1567883 RMA # 1175019

Posted by express courier today to Freemont from Au.

Thanks again RAM GUY.

Archived