The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Solid State Drives (SSD)

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 224 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 10:52 AM
Mad Scientist
Davyc's PC Specs

POST ID # = 464558
Davyc Reputation: 10

I did say that as the technology advances the need for tweaks may become redundant.

I would also be wary of MTBF figures - they are theoretical. How your SSD lasts and performs on a daily basis will depend on your useage.

There is nothing wrong with experimenting and tweaking - if it helps great if not then reverse it. I've done both, some help and some don't ... although SSD technology is advancing it is still treading undiscovered country and we learn something new about it every day.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:46 AM
abidderman's PC Specs

POST ID # = 464725
abidderman Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post

Corsair force MTBF is 1,000,000 hours, that's over 100 years of use, I don't think we have to worry about the lifespan of these drives. There's nothing wrong with writing files to an SSD, that's what they're made for, and they have advanced wear leveling algorithms to make sure the nand wears evenly, it isn't like the index file is going to wear down a single chip of nand. The only ones that would really have issues are those old jmicrons with no trim, which is where these tweaks would actually give some benefit(moving the temp files to mechanical drive etc)
The issue with ssd's are the number of write cycles they have before they wear out. MLC's get as little as 10,000 cycles, vs a hundred thousand and up for SLC ssd's. Measuring hours is of little use on SSD's. That is why limiting needless writes is important.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:29 AM
SSDMonts's PC Specs

POST ID # = 464766
SSDMonts Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by abidderman View Post
The issue with ssd's are the number of write cycles they have before they wear out. MLC's get as little as 10,000 cycles, vs a hundred thousand and up for SLC ssd's. Measuring hours is of little use on SSD's. That is why limiting needless writes is important.
Are the Force Drives SLC or MLC? What would be the write cycle life before a traditional hard drive wears out?

Last edited by SSDMonts; 09-03-2010 at 11:19 PM.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:23 PM
abidderman's PC Specs

POST ID # = 464890

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDMonts View Post
Are the Force Drives SLC or MLC? What would be the write cycle life of before a traditional hard drive wears out?
The 1200 is MLC, on this link, it says the SF-1500 can be either SLC or MLC:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3656/c...0-is-very-good

but on the Corsair site, I only see specs for MLC.

Mech drives are more susceptable to other issues, and as such, write cycles are not an issue. They do not degrade as Nand does. HDD's can last many years, regardless of your writes, but also can fail from sudden jarring movement, heat, etc. because they have moving parts. The real issue for those of us with SSD's is that they haven't been around for us long enough to see exactly what they will do in the long term. Most everything you see regarding them is based on projection, not actual results over their respective lifetimes. However, most of those projections come from years observing the technology in other uses. I simplified this to try to keep it short, although it already is too long, lol. Sorry for that.

Last edited by abidderman; 09-03-2010 at 09:30 PM.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:13 PM
abidderman's PC Specs

POST ID # = 464894

I have had my Nova128 for about 4 or 5 months, use mostly these same tweaks, and have to say, I am really happy with the performance. I have a Scorpio Black 320 that I use to store everything on, and it is fast. It is still at 97% health, my lappy boots up so quick, everything loads faster than I have ever imagined, and the work I do makes me want to never use just a HHD alone ever again. I think that the people that have come up with these tweaks have put a lot of time and effort in, and have allowed us to benefit from their expertise. Check out some other sites and you will see that these tweaks are now mostly the norm for people using SSD's. ANd the beauty is, if you don't feel the same and see some real time performance increases, you can always revert back. +1 for your efforts Davyc.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:27 PM
SSDMonts's PC Specs

POST ID # = 464902

I love the performance of my F-120 and the performance is even better with Windows search enabled.

So the main question for me is will this drive last at least several years without the tweaks that reduce writes or is it too difficult or early to tell?

Old 09-04-2010, 12:08 AM
abidderman's PC Specs

POST ID # = 464905

Every write takes a little bit of life. That being said, the reason you bought it was for performance. There are things you can do to make it last longer, but if you don't have a second drive, you have to decide between performance and extended life. Also, how long is your warranty? I have the option to move a lot off the SSD to the HDD. If you only have one drive, you have harder choices. But as to your question, it is conjecture, based on several factors, with a high probability that the conjecture will come to fruition. Use it as you need to, and make sure YOUR happy with how you use it. I think you will get at least the number of years it is warrantied for. And if not, as long as you have current backups, you can exchange it under warranty for a new one, and restore your data. The difference is when we tweak it, we are trying to get maybe several more years out of it. By the time yours wears out, I think the new technology will make it easier to justify a new drive anyway. I would make sure at the least you make sure trim is enabled, defrag off for the SSD, And make sure it is aligned. A lot of people say using WIN7 aligns it, but when I first installed mine, I did a fresh Win7 install, imaged my HDD, and it wasn't aligned. If it is not aligned, not only does performance suffer a bit, but you increase the number of writes. All that being said, I have found that a SSD with no tweaks is much faster than any HDD.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:47 AM
SSDMonts's PC Specs

POST ID # = 464941

abidderman:

Well said and pretty much follows my thoughts. (No wonder you are in SD too).

You mention checking alignment. A quick search on the forum did not bring up much on the subject. How does one check or fix if not aligned?

ATTO scores are quite good, is that a reflection of proper alignment?

Last edited by SSDMonts; 09-05-2010 at 03:15 PM.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:38 PM
abidderman's PC Specs

POST ID # = 465297

SSD, go to start, accessories, system tools, system info, components, storage, disks, and look for your SSD. Then look for partition starting offset. Devide that number by 4096. If it is a whole number, your alignment is fine.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:56 AM
SSDMonts's PC Specs

POST ID # = 465307

Quote:
Originally Posted by abidderman View Post
SSD, go to start, accessories, system tools, system info, components, storage, disks, and look for your SSD. Then look for partition starting offset. Devide that number by 4096. If it is a whole number, your alignment is fine.
Thanks. I came up with 256. I guess that's "whole" enough!

Old 09-07-2010, 02:32 PM
abidderman's PC Specs

POST ID # = 465421

Yes, your SSD is aligned. Hope your holiday was a good one.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:33 PM
abidderman's PC Specs

POST ID # = 465422

I just realized you meant SD and not SSD, lol, sure is nice to live here.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:53 PM
SSDMonts's PC Specs

POST ID # = 465424

Yes, SD and SSD , I like them both!

Old 09-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Toughbook's PC Specs

POST ID # = 465770
Toughbook Reputation: 10

I think both parties are correct and incorrect in one way. That depends on HOW you want your system and drive to work and it's life span. I agree with Shaddix in that we really don't have to worry about how long our SSD will last, minus a a product failure. Second, how long will you actually use your current SSD? With how fast technology changes I know I will be getting the larger/faster, etc SSD before too long. I honestly feel that when Intel starts the Gen3 it will change the entire SSD market. From there every other manufacture will start redeveloping on how Intel does things. I firmly believe Intel knows and has the upper hand on development, technology. They are the one's that basically started the whole SSD mania to begin with.

What I am trying to explain is that if you like the faster searches, then keep the Windows Search on, if the slower searches don't seem to bother you then leave it off. There are consequences for every tweak you do. Just a matter of whether you like the positive or negative conseguence of your tweak.

Just my .02 cents!

Old 09-09-2010, 10:14 AM
SSDMonts's PC Specs

POST ID # = 465775

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughbook View Post
I think both parties are correct and incorrect in one way. That depends on HOW you want your system and drive to work and it's life span. I agree with Shaddix in that we really don't have to worry about how long our SSD will last, minus a a product failure. Second, how long will you actually use your current SSD? With how fast technology changes I know I will be getting the larger/faster, etc SSD before too long. I honestly feel that when Intel starts the Gen3 it will change the entire SSD market. From there every other manufacture will start redeveloping on how Intel does things. I firmly believe Intel knows and has the upper hand on development, technology. They are the one's that basically started the whole SSD mania to begin with.

What I am trying to explain is that if you like the faster searches, then keep the Windows Search on, if the slower searches don't seem to bother you then leave it off. There are consequences for every tweak you do. Just a matter of whether you like the positive or negative conseguence of your tweak.

Just my .02 cents!
Not that it matters but it would seem counterintuitive to spend significantly more money to enjoy the speed of an SSD and then turn off Windows Search.

Closed Thread