Corsair Community

OC Vengence Pro 3200 RGB

dmann304

I use an EVGA x299 dark and quad channel of these modules.

Folks are saying to take these up to 3600 or 4000 on the forums,

so I came here with ideas how to go outside the xmp on these.

Should I leave xmp on and turn on training timmings and move freq up?

• Corsair Employee

Hello dmann304,

Memory overclocking is often a bit like CPU overclocking when it comes to BIOS settings. Every motherboard will word things differently, but I would suggest starting with setting it to manual and entering the XMP speed/timings/voltage and work your way up from there. Hope you're able to get a lot out the kit!

• 2 weeks later...
No, you would turn XMP off, set the DRAM frequency manually to your desired level, then enter the 4 primary timings, command rate (TR/CR1 or TR/CR2), and DRAM voltage. You also likely will need to alter your VCCIO and VCCSA voltages. The motherboard/BIOS will assign values for the secondary and tertiary timings. It will not be as efficient as doing it by hand, by that is a complex and time consuming process. These things are not only memory kit and motherboard specific, but each individual CPU has a different memory controller capability. The same settings may not work on two otherwise identical systems, although they can. Your best bet is to try and find some memory overclocking guide specifically for your motherboard. The XMP memory timings give you a starting point, but you will need to increase those values as you scale up in frequency. You should also make a system image or restore point for your OS before embarking on this. It's not terribly difficult to crash yourself on OS load and put the system into a boot loop with resulting OS corruption.