The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Corsair Link

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 83 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 06-07-2017, 02:11 AM
pip_jones's PC Specs

POST ID # = 907076
pip_jones Reputation: 31
Default Would you like a Noctua fan to play with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-ray View Post
No, they don't spin as they are not detected.

If a fan is not reported as detected then the CLCP V0.1.131 firmware rejects any request to set or even read the fan speed. I needed to add code to SIV 5.20 Beta-15 to allow for this.

SIV will also dynamically update the [Link Fans] connection status when fans are hot plugged/unplugged. This works with the CLCC, but not with the CLCP.

The term "quick fixes" is usually used, but I don't do "quick fixes" to SIV, I just take less time than some, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=905566.
Hi Ray,

I'm aware that I haven't complied with you earlier request to hot swap fans and give feedback etc.

As Corsair are not able to guarantee compatibility with other fan manufacturers, I have removed the CLCP from my system.

Would there be any advantage in me getting a Noctua fan to you? Obviously at my expense.

KR.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:59 AM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 907078
red-ray Reputation: 81
Idea Corsair should do more interoperability testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip_jones View Post
Would there be any advantage in me getting a Noctua fan to you?
Thank you for the offer, but I don't expect this would help as I expect it's a CLCP firmware issue. The CLCP also sometimes incorrectly detects my 10K fans as 3-pin voltage , so I suspect 3rd pary fan detection is going to be a general issue with the CLCP .

I feel Corsair should have done more interoperability testing, but I suspect Corsair and I think differently, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/show...teroperability.

Your fans are quite common fans and for them not to work is rather surprising. Maybe after a few more CLCP owners with fan detection issues have reported them Corsair will think again. I think this is one of those issues where we will have to wait and see what happens once more users get CLCPs. I just hope we don't end up with a thread about fan detection issues similar to http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=742713 .

Old 06-07-2017, 06:55 AM
pip_jones's PC Specs

POST ID # = 907087
Default Another update on my ticket ...

Quote:
Created By: Technical Support Rep (6/6/2017 9:01 AM)

Thank you for contacting Corsair regarding this issue. Unfortunately we cannot guarantee compatibility with fans from other manufacturers. Our apologies for the inconvenience.

I have asked if there is a new firmware on the horizon, response below.

Created By: Technical Support Rep (6/7/2017 12:57 AM)
Hello,

We're working on new firmware and Link software version. However we cannot guarantee compatibility with fans from other manufacturers. We will transfer your ticket to our agent for refund. Thanks.

I have asked for a timescale. I did not get a reply to my question. This is what I got: Send it back at your own expense within 15 days.

Thank you for contacting Corsair. You can return the CORSAIR Commander PRO for a refund. Please ship the unit to the following address with RMA# "GFY" reference on the outside of your package. We will need to receive the unit within 15 business days from the day you have received this message. Once we have received the unit, we will issue a full refund, including any tax, back to your card payment or PayPal account. Please note: To ship the item back will be at the consumer’s cost, we do not cover shipping of the item back to us.

Please note, if your unit was returned after the time period allowed, we will no longer be able to issue the refund back to your card payment or PayPal account. In this case, the refund will be return to you in the form of a Corsair Gift Card with store credit to be used at our Corsair Webstore. If you have any questions, please let me know. Thank you.

Return Address:
Attn: Corsair RMA Department
<RMA>
, 1311 XB
Almere, The Netherlands

Last edited by pip_jones; 06-07-2017 at 10:25 AM.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:42 AM
Corsair Employee
Corsair Dustin's PC Specs

POST ID # = 907099
Corsair Dustin Reputation: 41

I'm sorry to hear your Noctua fans didn't work; there's really no reason why those wouldn't work with CLCP.

It's nigh impossible to guarantee fan compatibility with other fan manufacturers just because there are SO MANY fans out there in the first place. But assuming fans use bog standard PWM or DC voltage control and tach reporting, there's very little reason why they wouldn't work with CLCP. The one caveat is that CLCP has a 4000RPM limit, but that doesn't affect the two Noctua fans you mentioned.

Please do not send private messages requesting tech support or trouble shooting. You can create a thread and let the solution to your issue be visible to everyone, or alternatively, work directly with tech support by contacting them here.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:49 AM
pip_jones's PC Specs

POST ID # = 907100
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair Dustin View Post
I'm sorry to hear your Noctua fans didn't work; there's really no reason why those wouldn't work with CLCP.

It's nigh impossible to guarantee fan compatibility with other fan manufacturers just because there are SO MANY fans out there in the first place. But assuming fans use bog standard PWM or DC voltage control and tach reporting, there's very little reason why they wouldn't work with CLCP. The one caveat is that CLCP has a 4000RPM limit, but that doesn't affect the two Noctua fans you mentioned.
Thanks Dustin,

It is really very strange - and so frustrating that the fans work on the CLCM and not the CLCP.

For me, it is one step forward (zero RPM!) and goodness knows how many steps back.

Is there any way that we (the forum regulars) could work with your team to resolve this?

Putting the controller back in the box and sending it back is not a good solution for all of us.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:49 AM
Corsair Employee

POST ID # = 907101

Just as a heads up, I've gone ahead and submitted a bug to have these investigated.

No, we can't guarantee third party fans to function with CLCP, but Noctua makes the second best fans on the market...behind our ML fans. ;) They should be supported.

This forum thread has been logged with the bug; if they need help they'll contact you but I think they have the information they need.

Please do not send private messages requesting tech support or trouble shooting. You can create a thread and let the solution to your issue be visible to everyone, or alternatively, work directly with tech support by contacting them here.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:00 PM
pip_jones's PC Specs

POST ID # = 907103
Thumbs up Great news

Quote:
Just as a heads up, I've gone ahead and submitted a bug to have these investigated.

No, we can't guarantee third party fans to function with CLCP, but Noctua makes the second best fans on the market...behind our ML fans. ;) They should be supported.

This forum thread has been logged with the bug; if they need help they'll contact you but I think they have the information they need.
Thanks Dustin, your input is appreciated. Can you guestimate a time frame for a solution?

I'm sure your team won't need my help, but, if they want anything testing I would be willing to assist in any way that I can.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:56 PM
Corsair Employee

POST ID # = 907137

We have to order the fans, test them, figure out what the issue is, create a fix, incorporate that fix into the next release of Link, and regression test that version before releasing it. It's not a quick process; if the situation can be fixed, honestly I'd expect at least a month.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:33 PM
pip_jones's PC Specs

POST ID # = 907143
Default Thanks again.

Quote:
We have to order the fans, test them, figure out what the issue is, create a fix, incorporate that fix into the next release of Link, and regression test that version before releasing it. It's not a quick process; if the situation can be fixed, honestly I'd expect at least a month.
Thanks for taking the time to respond.

From what you are saying I think it would be fair and reasonable to put my, and any any other users, RMA on hold until it has been established if this is a reproducible issue that should be addressed.

Does that sound right to you? Is this something you could have any influence over?

Old 06-08-2017, 02:29 PM
pip_jones's PC Specs

POST ID # = 907217
Thumbs up My RMA is on hold

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to respond.

From what you are saying I think it would be fair and reasonable to put my, and any any other users, RMA on hold until it has been established if this is a reproducible issue that should be addressed.

Does that sound right to you? Is this something you could have any influence over?
I asked customer support if my RMA could be put on hold while the issue is investigated and they have agreed.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:48 PM
shalafi
silvanspirit's PC Specs

POST ID # = 907225
silvanspirit Reputation: 10

Hello everyone, first post here (Hi Ray, and yes - a lot of first posts end up in this thread thanks to your great software).

I've ditched my NZXT Grid+ V2 as it's voltage-only as opposed to PWM and spins up to 100% when it deems fans are too low. I've been eyeing the CLCC for a while now, so the release of CLCP was more than welcome. It arrrived today and after a bit of fiddling with CL4 I noticed that the SIV beta supports it, hooray.

Two issues (and none of those because of SIV):
  1. One of the two NZXT X62 fans (NZXT Aer P140) is emitting an awful buzzing noise at 15-90% PWM. At 10% the buzz is almost inaudible and at 100% it's not there at all. The other one only has a fraction of the problem. There were no such issues when controlled via voltage, so I wonder at the PWM implementation of the CLCP.
  2. My two Phanteks PH-FP140SP fans are detected as PWM 4-PIN, while actually being 3-PIN voltage fans. This results in the CLCP trying to control them with PWM, resulting in 0%=0RPM, 10%-100%=1200RPM.
  • 2xNoctua NF-F12 (non-industrialPPC, so classic 1500RPM brown variant) work as expected. Much joy.
Attached Images
File Type: png CLCP_fans.PNG (49.3 KB, 973 views)

Last edited by silvanspirit; 06-08-2017 at 05:16 PM.

Old 06-08-2017, 05:23 PM
pozzer18's PC Specs

POST ID # = 907230
pozzer18 Reputation: 10

red-ray please can you tell me how to get rid of these?

https://imgur.com/a/bNM5h

any help appreciated

Last edited by pozzer18; 06-08-2017 at 05:24 PM. Reason: cant work out how to attach pics

Old 06-08-2017, 05:33 PM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 907232
Confused Sometimes they are 3-pin voltage and other times 4-pin PWM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvanspirit View Post
Hello everyone, first post here (Hi Ray, and yes - a lot of first posts end up in this thread thanks to your great software).

I've ditched my NZXT Grid+ V2 as it's voltage-only as opposed to PWM and spins up to 100% when it deems fans are too low. I've been eyeing the CLCC for a while now, so the release of CLCP was more than welcome. It arrrived today and after a bit of fiddling with CL4 I noticed that the SIV beta supports it, hooray.

Two issues (and none of those because of SIV):
  1. One of the two NZXT X62 fans (NZXT Aer P140) is emitting an awful buzzing noise at 15-90% PWM. At 10% the buzz is almost inaudible and at 100% it's not there at all. The other one only has a fraction of the problem. There were no such issues when controlled via voltage, so I wonder at the PWM implementation of the CLCP.
  2. My two Phanteks PH-FP140SP fans are detected as PWM 4-PIN, while actually being 3-PIN voltage fans. This results in the CLCP trying to control them with PWM, resulting in 0%=0RPM, 10%-100%=1200RPM.
  3. 2xNoctua NF-F12 (non-industrialPPC, so classic 1500RPM brown variant) works as expected. Much joy.
I suspect you should log a call via https://corsair.secure.force.com/home/home.jsp about the Phanteks PH-FP140SP detection issue given what Corsair Dustin posted earlier.

SIV can only report the NZXT X62 and even this support is limited as I don't have an X62 and it's totally different to the X61. If you get me some CAM protocol traces I may be able to improve things, but you need to help me figure out what CAM sends when you tell it to do things. I used http://www.usblyzer.com/ to figure out the CLCP.

I don't really know what to say. My CLCPs have detection issues with my Superred CHA4012EB-MAH-0(E) 40mm x 20mm 4-pin PWM fans, sometimes they are 3-pin voltage and other times 4-pin PWM .

Looking above pip_jones has issues with his fans, so I feel we need to give Corsair time to look into what's happening.

Below all 3 x CLCP-L 10K should be 4-pin PWM, but this time the CLCP detected 2 as 3-pin voltage . Eventually all were detected as 4-pin PWM and maybe 10 power cycles .

Quote:

Attached Images
File Type: png [Link Fans] Superred.png (116.3 KB, 924 views)
File Type: png [Link Fans] Superred all PWM.png (115.6 KB, 952 views)

Last edited by red-ray; 06-12-2017 at 03:48 AM. Reason: some

Old 06-08-2017, 05:39 PM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 907234
Confused I don't understand what you are asking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozzer18 View Post
red-ray please can you tell me how to get rid of these?
How did you get them in the first place? I guess you asked for 6 x LCD panels, so ask for 0 x LCD panels .

See http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=853900 for how to attach a file/screen image to a post.

Old 06-08-2017, 06:24 PM
pozzer18's PC Specs

POST ID # = 907241
pozzer18 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-ray View Post
How did you get them in the first place? I guess you asked for 6 x LCD panels, so ask for 0 x LCD panels .

See http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=853900 for how to attach a file/screen image to a post.
may be a stupid question but for some reason i cant work out how to disable these lcd panels haha

Closed Thread