The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Software Related (Non Corsair Questions) > Windows XP / 2000 / NT Core

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-16-2006, 04:25 PM
larrymcg's PC Specs

POST ID # = 273286
larrymcg Reputation: 10
Question How to Configure/Limit the Guest Account??

I decided to enable the Guest account on my system so that my grandsons could play some games. But I wanted to limit access to certain things. The first thing I tried was to delete some shortcut icons from the desktop. Gets an error that says either the object is in use (not!) or the disk is write-protected (not!). I couldn't even move them to a folder I created on the desktop.

What's that all about?

And then I thought I would set some controls so that most programs were not available to run from the Guest account. Can't find a way to do that, even from my normal admin account.

When I opened My Computer and double-clicked the C: (system) disk it said the contents were hidden but provided a link to unhide the contents. Gee, that's pretty useless.

What am I missing here? Or is the Guest account protected in ways that a normal limited account are not?

--Larry
Old 12-30-2006, 01:29 AM
Ghot's PC Specs

POST ID # = 275351
Ghot Reputation: 10

right click any icon, folder, file whatever and choose properties then the security tab at the top of the properties page. Once on the security page, IF the Guest acct is listed, you can just highlight the Guest acct and by using the checkboxes below, can allow or deny ....anything.

If you dont see the Guest acct, it may be easier to just create an acct for your grandson, using the ADD button. Once created, it can then be accessed from the security tab on the properties page and once highlighted you will again be able to allow or deny....anything.

Permissions is a VERY large part of WinXP and if you really want to get deep into it....I would recommend the book Windows XP Annoyances, or the 2nd edition of same book.

The book can be found here:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/winxpannoy2/

P.S. WinXP permissions takes up an entire chapter of this book!
Old 12-30-2006, 10:14 PM
larrymcg's PC Specs

POST ID # = 275443

Ghot,
Maybe WinXP Home doesn't have the facility you talk about. As an administer, when I right click and open properties there is a Sharing tab but no Security tab. The Sharing tab has a Local Sharing and Network Sharing sections. It seems that you can elect to share the folder with all other users of the PC or, in the network sharing case, with all other users of the PC and the network users.

It's a gross level of control.

--Larry
Old 12-30-2006, 11:49 PM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 275453
Wired Reputation: 16

XP Home does not have the level of security lockdown that Ghot mentioned. What did you want to limit access to?
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)

Last edited by Wired; 12-31-2006 at 03:01 AM.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:58 AM
larrymcg's PC Specs

POST ID # = 275459

Wired,
All users are not admins. There is plenty of documentation that makes that clear. And I've seen lots of posts from folks who try to do things (like install an application) and fail when they are not admins. XP Home supports creation of limited accounts and the built-in Guest account which seems to be a special case limited account.

I think I will set up a limited account and see how it acts.

In any case, I wanted to set up an environment where someone could run certain apps (of my choosing) and no others. And not be able to access important files like my financial stuff and my music stuff and.....
And not be able to delete or modify files.

The Guest account seems like a pretty bad thing. It requires no login password and seems to be able to access all files and programs. Maybe that's why there is an option to disable the Guest account.

I was totally surprised when I couldn't even remove a strange set of program icons (shortcuts) that appeared on the Guest account desktop. I could add such icons and delete the ones I added but I couldn't delete the ones that appeared by default.

I'll post any interesting info I discover after creating a limited account.

--Larry
Old 12-31-2006, 03:03 AM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 275470

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg View Post
All users are not admins.
you're right, too much time working in a domain for me lol.

Quote:
I was totally surprised when I couldn't even remove a strange set of program icons (shortcuts) that appeared on the Guest account desktop. I could add such icons and delete the ones I added but I couldn't delete the ones that appeared by default.
The strange icons, are they in c:\documents and settings\all users\desktop\ ?
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Old 12-31-2006, 03:13 AM
Ghot's PC Specs

POST ID # = 275471

well since XP home doesnt have that try this:

Control panel / Administrative Tools / Local Security Policy / Local Policies / User Rights Assignment

This allows you to set passwords and such....but.....I'm again seeing this in WinXP Pro

I wish you luck bro :)
Old 12-31-2006, 04:17 AM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 275478

that doesn't exist in XP Home, and you can't set a password on the guest account in xp home
Old 12-31-2006, 04:50 AM
Ghot's PC Specs

POST ID # = 275480

Ok try this then:

Go to Control panel / dbl clk User accounts .......
a window will pop up listing all accts on the computer including the Guest account. Dbl Clk on the Guest acct Icon and a new window will open....

Click on change password....thats it :)

Note: I tried this on XP Pro and it works fine...BUT I found the info here:
http://www.tweakxp.com/article37389.aspx

Understand that this article applies to changing the "Administrator password"
on...Win Xp HOME....my take on this is that this option should be available for the Guest acct as well......but I cant verify this as I dont have the HOME version. Wired may still be correct on this.

You CAN however, assuming the info on the link above is correct, password the ADMIN acct, which will prevent your grandson from EVER accessing the Admin acct......?

Last edited by Ghot; 12-31-2006 at 05:02 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: