The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > USB Flash Drives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-21-2009, 04:07 AM

POST ID # = 401927
Hotrod Reputation: 10
Default Corsair Flash Voyager 64GB - Fake?

Hi all

I recently purchased a new (sealed) Corsair Flash Voyager 64GB thumbdrive. Now I purchased it from a company called Deals Direct based in Sydney, Australia. Here is the listing:- http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/cors...usb-2-0-drive/ (this is the 32GB listing but the 64GB was listed exactly the same way). This company is selling these still, and I have emailed Corsair regarding these possible fake Corsair products.

I noticed the following:-

* "Note: this is a refurbished model. Serviced and tested by technicians, it comes to you backed by a full 12 month manufacturer warranty." As far as i know Corsair dont sell refurbished original Corsair Voyager Flash drives, they are not even listed on the Corsair store at all. Corsair's warranty is 10 years.

* "Corsair Flash Voyager 32GB USB Flash Drive - Refurbished Model - Blue." Again, as far as I know Corsair dont sell refurbished original Corsair Voyager Flash drives, they are not even listed on the Corsair store at all.

I received the item today and it comes in a sealed plastic package, no usb cable, no cd, no lanyard. The back of the package has English / French / Espanol / Dutch / Italian / and Russian. Bottom left hand corner has Document Number: 45-00141-03C. Nothing indicates where the Voyager is made on the packaging. Bottom right hand corner at the back has the Corsair logo with Copyright 2008 with the FCC / CE / logos.

How can I confirm this is in fact an original Corsair Flash Voyager 64GB? If its fake can I get it exchanged under RMA via Corsair? I just tested this new one and the end of it is very soft, there is a bulge in the middle of it and the LED does not light up when access. There is also no writing anywhere on the metal USB connector. Also, it does not show "Corsair Voyager" when inserted. The white "64GB" where the LED is suppose to be just fell out.

I have attached the 100MB file test via HDBENCH Corsair what do I do?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg corsair64gb.jpg (510.2 KB, 1580 views)

Last edited by Hotrod; 05-21-2009 at 04:57 AM.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:01 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 401960
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

You need to contact the reseller and see if they will replace it for a genuine product as we do not and have never sold refurbished products to anyone. Other wise I would complain to the reseller and the web store posting that.
Can you post a picture of the back of the package that came in?

Last edited by RAM GUY; 03-15-2010 at 04:07 PM.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:58 PM
Hysteria72's PC Specs

POST ID # = 401991
Hysteria72 Reputation: 10
Default Fake 64gb Voyagers sold by Dealsdirect.com.au

Hotrod

I bought a 64gb from Deals Direct too. It is definitely a fake:
- It's only about 7cm long
- No light comes on when inserted
- No manufacturer ID recorded in properties
- doesnt come with either a lanyard or a chain that connects the lid to the unit
- DOA and will not format in XP. Will format in Vista
- No manufacturer ID in Control Panel - Device Manager
- Doesn't come up as a Corsair USB stick when you plug it in
- packed vertically in what appears to be a sealed pack, rather than horizontally like genuine sticks
- Tested with H2testw v1.4 software that tests USB sticks - it suggests this is a 4gb stick that has been hacked to appear to be 64gb
- if you copy 64gb of files to it, nearly all of them are corrupted when you try to read them. This is indicative of a fake
- lid design is not like it is on originals (eg. Nothing can be attached to the lid)
- no writing/numbers on the metal connector
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0593.jpg (356.3 KB, 2276 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0594.jpg (301.5 KB, 1772 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0595.jpg (290.9 KB, 1672 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0596.jpg (300.2 KB, 1633 views)

Old 05-22-2009, 02:43 AM

POST ID # = 401998
Agg Reputation: 10

Does the drive work ok, or is it faulty? Including speed, whether or not it corrupts data, and if it can be filled to capacity.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:22 AM

POST ID # = 401999
mattyman Reputation: 10

I bought one of these too but haven't received it as yet, however I just received the following email from DealsDirect. It looks like they've identified the issue and are doing their best to fix the problem.

Hello Matthew,

Our records show you recently purchased a Corsair 64GB Flash Voyager USB 2.0 Drive from DealsDirect.com.au

We have been made aware yesterday morning that a shipment of these drives recently received from the USA may have contained some counterfeit product. We have completely isolated the stock since receiving this information, however, some of the drives have unfortunately been despatched.

Early next week we will send you a reply paid Return Authorisation to send this back to us for a full refund.

In appreciation of your co-operation, we will also be offering a token of apology to all affected customers.

Kind Regards,

DealsDirect.com.au Customer Service

Old 05-22-2009, 05:06 AM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 402002
Wired Reputation: 32

Still doesn't address the fact that they claim to be selling refurb'd drives w/ manufacturer warranty when Corsair doesn't sell them like that.
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)

Old 05-22-2009, 06:17 AM

POST ID # = 402003

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyman View Post
I bought one of these too but haven't received it as yet, however I just received the following email from DealsDirect. It looks like they've identified the issue and are doing their best to fix the problem.

Hello Matthew,

Our records show you recently purchased a Corsair 64GB Flash Voyager USB 2.0 Drive from DealsDirect.com.au

We have been made aware yesterday morning that a shipment of these drives recently received from the USA may have contained some counterfeit product. We have completely isolated the stock since receiving this information, however, some of the drives have unfortunately been despatched.

Early next week we will send you a reply paid Return Authorisation to send this back to us for a full refund.

In appreciation of your co-operation, we will also be offering a token of apology to all affected customers.

Kind Regards,

DealsDirect.com.au Customer Service
I got the same email today, I think I stirred up a hornets nest buy hey they are fake and not genuine.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:29 AM

POST ID # = 402014
Catacaustic Reputation: 10

I to purchased one of these, as it seemed like a great deal. To be hoenst, I would not blame Corsair, or Deals Direct, as I'm sure that they've both been the victim of a scam trying to rip everyone off.

Mine was the same as other reports here are... Works to a point, but try to write to much (anything over ~4GB0 and everything is corrupted. I could not format on XP, but coudl format on Mac, and this was the first warning sign.

Hoenstly, Corsair has aid here that they are not rela, and i did find this thread by a Google search, so that's proof that it's a big deal, and people can find it if they look.

Even if they don't look... Deals direct has done the best that they possibly can by sending out the prepaid return satchels to everyone that's bought one. Most places would say 'send it back for a refund", but they realise that something has gone horribly wrong, so they are trying to minimise the damage to themselves, and to Corsair.

Just seems like they were the unlucky victim of some nasty buggers trying to make a fast buck. It is a shame that us consumers had to find out this way, but these thins do happen, and lets be honest.. If you get a full refund, and only have to suffer a bit of disspointment that you didn't get what the (fake) suppliers seaid that it was, you're still not losing out, so it can't be all bad. i know that this won't stop me dealing with either company. :)

Old 06-20-2009, 09:27 PM

POST ID # = 405233

Looks like Deals Direct are still selling 16GB "refurbished" drives, so they have obviously not learnt their lesson - link: http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/cors...usb-2-0-drive/

I recently purchased a Genuine 64GB Corsair Flash Voyager from AusPCMarket (who list speeds), despite the expensive price tag of AU$238. I still think these drives are way overpriced in Australia, as this should be no more than say AU$150 - http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/show_p...info.php?input[product_code]=AL-CMFUSBHC-64GB&input[category_id]=1735

At least I have a genuine product and a 10 year warranty. Whats the best utility to test out the transfer rate of my new drive and should it be formatted as "exFAT" (Windows 7) or NTFS?

Last edited by Hotrod; 06-20-2009 at 09:29 PM.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:01 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 405404

The file system you use is up to you, but if you use "exFAT" it will only be usable in Windows 7 systems.

Please try the HD-Bench software to test the performance.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:34 PM

POST ID # = 405486

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
The file system you use is up to you, but if you use "exFAT" it will only be usable in Windows 7 systems.

Please try the HD-Bench software to test the performance.
FYI: With Windows 7 when you choose format you only have the choice of ExFAT (Default) or NTFS, no other alternative. So looks like if you want to do a FAT32 format you must rely on Windows Vista.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:48 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 405557

You would have to use WinXP or Vista to format it with Fat 32 and use fat32formatter. Other wise it will only see 32 Gig max.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:14 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 443808

I would try and format it from a command Prompt and thats strange on my system I did not have any problems formatting Fat32.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:35 AM

POST ID # = 469380
SpeedTrap47 Reputation: 10

Szwesta (EBAY and AMAZON) is also selling counterfeit 64GB CMFUSBHC-64GB Flash Voyager thumb drive.
Color of ""Flash Voyager" is wrong
Cap and body are half as thick as a normal corsair product
I pulled the board out with very little effort.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:57 PM

POST ID # = 443770
brightpixie Reputation: 10
Default probably counterfeit

I bought a flash voyager at the end of 2009. It worked for a week and then failed. Tried on various computers but no luck.

Paid $100 or so to a MAC store for mine. I certainly didn't think it was a counterfeit, but must have been since it failed so quickly.

It's sad that these counterfeit flash drives are out there. I did report the problem to MAC store, but they say my warranty is with Corsair. Told Corsair about the problem. They apologized and offered to send me a replacement, but since I had personal data on this drive, I wasn't comfortable with sending it back to the company. Willing to send the cap back. :)

I'd not buy another corsair. At present, I'm out my $100 and the material that was stored on the flashdrive. And if you're wondering why I didn't have a backup. This flashdrive was being used at the time to backup a reformat of my computer. Didn't have time to recopy what was lost before the drive failed.