Corsair Community

500D SE RGB 360mm radiator up top.

Noah_The_Blob

Hello people of the Corsair forum :)

I've been considering to buy a new PC, and the 500D SE RGB seemed to be the perfect case. However, as i'm going to be doing a custom loop, i need to clear up some things first. First of all, i'm going to use a E-ATX mobo, which shouldn't be a problem though, i'm not afraid of power tools. The other concern i've had is radiator mounting. I was going to use one XE 360 at the front and a PE 360 up top, however as i've read, you can only mount a 280mm at the top. This kind of disappointed me because i'm pretty sure it would fit. I'm considering modding a 500D so i can install the 360, however i'm not entirely sure if that will even be possible, if there is enough space and if it is strong enough to support a 2kg radiator. Anyone got any tips?

You might be able to use the front fan tray in the the top. I thought about it but clearance to the mobo would be extremely tight with a rad and fans. This case is a lot more form over function. With a custom loop and an EATX board I'd recommend a different case. The 500 is based on a fairly old design. I'm planning to move my system into a Lian Li PC011 Dynamic. Just need a sucker to buy this 500, it's too expensive to sit in the closet unused.

I ran into some issues with the 500D SE for my gaming rig, I didn't want to chance modding it cause I suck with those things. Instead I got a Cooler Master Cosmos C700M. I would of bought a Corsair but they don't have anything between the super tower and midtower that are modern. It seems their full tower line of cases could use some updates :P

Yeah the 500d is not really that great. You can fit 3 120 fans up top. I bought an extra front fan bracket and installed it. I just don't know how it would work out with a radiator.

Do you happen to have the link for the fan bracket? I'm thinking of doing the same for mine.

Hello people of the Corsair forum :)

I've been considering to buy a new PC, and the 500D SE RGB seemed to be the perfect case. However, as i'm going to be doing a custom loop, i need to clear up some things first. First of all, i'm going to use a E-ATX mobo, which shouldn't be a problem though, i'm not afraid of power tools. The other concern i've had is radiator mounting. I was going to use one XE 360 at the front and a PE 360 up top, however as i've read, you can only mount a 280mm at the top. This kind of disappointed me because i'm pretty sure it would fit. I'm considering modding a 500D so i can install the 360, however i'm not entirely sure if that will even be possible, if there is enough space and if it is strong enough to support a 2kg radiator. Anyone got any tips?

Sorry if I add my question but in top side of the obsidian 500d can you mount a Hydro Series H115i RGB PLATINUM ?

I have the 500D, non SE, and swapped the top 280 fan/cooler mount plate with the front 360 fan/cooler mount plate to have two 140 openings for my front mount h115i pro instead of three 120 openings which would likely impede airflow with smaller openings. The mount plates were the same otherwise except for the top one having some pre-installed dense foam tape to maybe stop a rattle, so I added some to the 360 plate too in the same spot.

There is about 16 inches, 406mm, between the rear exhaust fan mount and the case front i/o cables as bent as they can be on the 500D. There is about 50mm of height distance between the top inner fan/cooler mount face and the top of the rear exhaust fan mount and about 57mm height distance from the same fan/cooler mount face to the top of an installed ATX motherboard. I think a cooler and fans itself would fit up top, but not sure about fittings and hoses at the rear, or front if a 360 rad is installed in the front. It's as if you need to compromise by swapping one 360 and one 240/280 at either location. Both fan/cooler plates are one piece each, no rivets, and mount with two thumb screws on one side and have pressed tabs that align into recessed square holes on the other side and end up in a fixed position with no slots for adjustable movement up or down, forward or back when installed; they are stout. If concerned with weight up top you could maybe replace the thumb screws with through bolts and washers/nuts at the back with a minor case mod but even small threaded bolts can hold way more than one thinks possible unless under extreme dynamic loads.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...