Corsair Community

H115i Platinum: USB reconnect every now and then, lighting goes crazy

momorious

Does this problem also affect our ability to control the fan speed/pump speed?

Is there an alternative way to control fan speed/pump speed outside of iCUE?

I have a H100i RGB platinum

I find that the fans are really too loud when at 100% load and I was hoping to just set them to 2000 fixed.

I'm not sure there would be an external way of controlling the fans unless they were connected to a standard fans header, I don't believe you could control pump speed outside of iCue however.

I have to say that the continuous disconnects, even on static colour lighting setting, and even on no lighting at all is really starting to grind my gears. If they don't fix this problem soon I'll have no choice but to return my cooler and get a refund.

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Larzstar, can you get your pump to display the same static colour, all the time?

I set all my corsair hardware to a static colour then disabled icue, in start-up, however a few boots later my h150pro is back to rainbow.

Everything else is how I left it.

I put static color white in iCue under both lighting effects and hardware lighting. If you quit iCue then the setting in hardware lighting will be used, if you run iCue then the lighting effect setting will be used. From a previous post here I got the understanding that you could actually run RGB effects on it given you configure it under hardware lighting and then quit iCue (and make sure it doesn't start again). The issue is moving RGB with iCue running.

If your pump doesn't show up in the software then you are having a different issue altogether. It is not related to this iCue software bug.

My H115i Plat shows up in the "bluetooth and other devices" settings when I boot up my rig. Then it doesn't show up in iCue and it actively connects/disconnects the USB in a cycle.

I too am having these issues and the icue software seems to be conflicting with Steam.

I can play Battlefield for hours via Origin with no issue, but as soon as I try to launch Steam the pump disconnects every few seconds and the lighting goes crazy.

I tried reinstalling Steam to see if that made a difference and no change. Stopped icue from starting at boot and Steam launches instantly and no disconnects of the pump. Frustrating because then I have no custom lighting, everything is just default except for my Strafe RGB that no longer has any illumination if icue isn't running...

I too am having these issues and the icue software seems to be conflicting with Steam.

I can play Battlefield for hours via Origin with no issue, but as soon as I try to launch Steam the pump disconnects every few seconds and the lighting goes crazy.

I tried reinstalling Steam to see if that made a difference and no change. Stopped icue from starting at boot and Steam launches instantly and no disconnects of the pump. Frustrating because then I have no custom lighting, everything is just default except for my Strafe RGB that no longer has any illumination if icue isn't running...

I observed something similar...if you use the Nvidia GPU activity application (enable it from NVidia Control Panel > Desktop), you'll see any app that uses graphics acceleration. Steam does this, as does Discord...and so does iCue. I've been systematically stopping apps doing this lately, to keep things clean while troubleshooting. Steam and Discord let you turn this off, iCue does not.

That said, the exe that crashes, appears to be Corsair.Service.exe not iCue.exe. You can see this if you look in Windows Reliability History (click Start, then type "reliability")

So...maybe related, maybe not. I do think you should be able to disable the graphics acceleration in iCue though.

edit: I should add that many other apps use graphics acceleration for their UI, including Origin and Battle.net clients, so it's not like this is wrong/unusual - just that there *is* a relationship between iCue, Steam, NVidia Drivers etc.

Edited by rascaluk
added notes

Came across this thread in frustration today after experiencing the same issue with my H115i Platinum since building it mid January..

I found that I could sometimes get a few hours before it struck, or sometimes it was starting to happen within a minute of loading to desktop. Recently noticed I could almost always force it to happen if I plug in my Galaxy Note 8 to charge from my PC (seems any change on usb devices could trip it)

Part of my troubleshooting I moved it from the Obsidians CoPro to its own header on the mainboard, and also removed an extra sata run from my powersupply, instead opting to use a Molex to 2x Sata adapter as I needed the molex run for extra Mobo power, and the sata run for 2 devices (H115i and other device on that run is one of the Lighting Node Pros.) (Also have another sata run for an SSD, the CoPro, another LN Pro, and the 2x splitters for all my LL Fans)

On booting this new cleaned up wiring setup, the LED's on the H115i did not work. The Fans and their LED's worked fine, and iCue reported everything working fine, even showing what the leds were supposed to be doing, they just werent lighting up. (The Fans are plugged into the H115i completely) I took a look at the sata plug and noticed one of its cables is slightly offset compared to the ones on the CoPro etc.. it appears to use the 3v line provided by Sata.. not available on my Molex to Sata adapter!

Rewired again so that the H115i is on a proper Sata run, and put the 2x LN Pros onto the molex - sata adapter (as they appear to not use the 3v line) and all was fine again.. however still experienced the random usb dropouts.

Have followed the advice here to set the H115i to a solid colour, and have managed to go all day without a single disconnect!

Also for those watching, I have steam running (who doesnt) and a nVidia graphics card.

Is it possible the Leds on the H115i are pulling their power from a combination of the 3v sata line, and maybe a little extra off the Usb 5v connection to compensate? and running anything complex is stressing it out too much?

Im going to try a custom setup leaving the pump lights only on a static colour, and set the 2x ML140's to rainbow with the rest of my system and see if that changes stability..

Edit: Tried this.. seemed fine for 10 mins, then plugged in my Note 8.. bam H115i disconnect. Changed back to all static Red, plug in Note 8, no problem.

Edited by Axiste

Hello everyone. Lets get to it!!

Short Summary - I own a Corsair H115i Platinum (upgraded my H115i Pro) and I've been dealing with the issue since early January. To make this short, I've experienced pretty much everything everyone has said here.

Its obvious to me that this is a CORSAIR ICUE <<SOFTWARE>> problem so I wouldn't stretch troubleshooting and messing with other software/hardware. Its not Steam or Nvidia! Its not MOBO or Processor! ITS ICUE!

My solution - open your iCue software and go to settings and uncheck "Start on system startup" and restart your pc.

Note: I'm aware this doesn't fix the problem permanently but you wont have the disconnecting / reconnecting issue again. Make sure everytime you run iCue software to close it completely by clicking the arrow on the lower right side of the task bar and right clicking the iCue icon and quitting it! In another words, forget about the software for now until Corsair decide to release an update that fixes the issue permanently (hopefully soon).

I hope this helps you or someone.

Thanks

- Grand

Hello everyone. Lets get to it!!

Its obvious to me that this is a CORSAIR ICUE <<SOFTWARE>> problem so I wouldn't stretch troubleshooting and messing with other software/hardware. Its not Steam or Nvidia! Its not MOBO or Processor! ITS ICUE!

- Grand

*smacks head into desk* Atleast someone else who sees it :P I still disagree with it not being partly nVidia related since I have yet to see someone with an AMD card who is having this issue. iCue is definitely crashing but I feel its something with how the iCue software talks to the GPU. I have no problem admitting I was wrong if I am but something about this feels like it's related.

Update for iCue was released today, no mention of a fix.

Pretty cheesed off, this is ridiculous.

System-killing bug and we still can't get a fix, or even an update on how the fixing is coming.

Better off with air cooling I guess.

While I admit this issue sucks I would point out the people have been reporting setting a static color helps for lack of a fix. Not defending Corsair here at all but you shouldn't chop your foot off :P And I say this having committed to Corsair pretty much exclusively.

Some information from devs on this would be awesome....just sayin'

Just got an update on the ticket i have saying the issue should be fixed in the latest iCue version that just released, version 3.12.118

In the ticket they recommend full uninstall and use ccleaner before installing the new version. Probably recommended just in case..

I’m at work so unable to test and might not be able to till after the weekend. Just wanted to give a heads up so others can try.

Definetely NOT fixed. I still got 3 USB disconnects within 40 minutes with Arc enabled on the outer LEDs together with a 2nd static layer for the inner LEDs.

So this massive issue is NOT fixed, not even with my 6th pump which I got from them in the meantime...

*smacks head into desk* Atleast someone else who sees it :P I still disagree with it not being partly nVidia related since I have yet to see someone with an AMD card who is having this issue. iCue is definitely crashing but I feel its something with how the iCue software talks to the GPU.

I've had this problem and I've used both a AMD RX 580 and currently a nVidia 1080ti. So at least you can count one :)

I've installed the update today and put my lighting to Rainbow Wave, let's wait and see.

I am nearly in daily contact with the support because my replacement pumps always have (other) issues.. Got my 6th one two days ago which is still damaged again but I lost all my nerves in the last weeks and gave up to get a perfect unit, seems to be impossible, pure lottery gambling. Last news was that they are aware of the issue and it is top priority. However they still have no clue what causes this usb disconnects. But once they found it, the fix has to go through beta testing at least to verify the fix is working. This wi take some weeks so honestly I don't expect a fix anytime soon. As said several times I think we maybe get it around Eastern at the earliest but I expect the fix to be with us in summer. IF the issue can be solved at all.

I've had this problem and I've used both a AMD RX 580 and currently a nVidia 1080ti. So at least you can count one :)

And I have no issues backing off blaming nVidia...So now we know it isn't related which only begs to ask? How is this being so difficult to track down and squash as it seems to be happening across the board? Why have none of the iCue team asked us for any logs we might be willing to provide that can help them help us? Being that this is the first time I've had an issue with anything from Corsair, I give them this, they really are trying to go above and beyond to make my first real trouble with their products something for the record books.

ICue guy, you have a whole thread, not going to mention forum, that would most likely be more than willing to help. Why not ask those that have confirmed the issue exists (as opposed to setting up a rig yourself since we have no idea if software we might have is to blame) for help since clearly trying to track it down by yourselves seems to be failing...hard.

We are waiting.

And I have no issues backing off blaming nVidia...So now we know it isn't related which only begs to ask? How is this being so difficult to track down and squash as it seems to be happening across the board? Why have none of the iCue team asked us for any logs we might be willing to provide that can help them help us? Being that this is the first time I've had an issue with anything from Corsair, I give them this, they really are trying to go above and beyond to make my first real trouble with their products something for the record books.

ICue guy, you have a whole thread, not going to mention forum, that would most likely be more than willing to help. Why not ask those that have confirmed the issue exists (as opposed to setting up a rig yourself since we have no idea if software we might have is to blame) for help since clearly trying to track it down by yourselves seems to be failing...hard.

We are waiting.

To defend Corsair on this one a bit. They have 5 returned pumps from me and they were able to reproduce the issue but not as frequent as it happens to me. But they simply have no clue what's the issue. Therefore this will take some time still and because there are only monthly iCUE updates this will take some months and I expect a fix in the May build at the earliest... :/

But yeah, it's a issue for the record books. How could something groundbreaking like this pass all the internal and external beta tests.. Incredible.

Updated to the new update on iCue. H115i Platinum now has Balanced added into the mix on the Pump selection. By Balanced, it's really just Quiet, but with a new name. Quiet now makes the pump run at 1993 RPM and it sounds like it's gurgling. Do NOT recommend running at that speed.

Wow! So glad I found this thread!! I have the H100I RGB Platinum for my Threadripper 2950x and since installing this it has been driving me crazy!! I am now turning off all lighting effects on it to test. This is a fairly expensive cooler to have these connect/disconnect issues. Corsair needs to make this a priority!

I'm not sure what kind of electronics Corsair has in the pump, but supposing there's an MCU in there (micro controller, aka tiny computer with an ARM processor), the software running on it might be crashing from being overloaded by instructions from iCue. Perhaps they didn't make a large enough buffer to hold all of the commands? Expanding on that, maybe icue broadcasts all commands to all devices, which makes the problem even more apparent if you have a bunch of corsair devices.

Either way, the way that the USB disconnects entirely and the H115i appears to 'restart' makes me think it's running an MCU of some sort and the software on said MCU is taking a dump, for whatever reason. In that case, I'm sure they could debug the H115i's onboard software really easily.

Question then: Are they? Or do they make so many new products that they just consider new things one-and-done and only update iCUE when they add new products to the library?

Question then: Are they? Or do they make so many new products that they just consider new things one-and-done and only update iCUE when they add new products to the library?

Corsair updates iCUE about monthly, new products or not. And they are continually improving iCUE and fixing bugs. So no, it's not one-and-done. And yes, they are looking at this and have been.

On the community beta team - I did experience something similar but it wasn't consistent and I was the only one that had the issue. The assumption was that something was wrong with my cooler. From what I understand, it also affects a subset of chipsets.

You may have something on the complexity of effects. Static lighting seems to work. Right now, I have static with a simple effect (Color Wave) and it's been OK. But if it's firmware (as we both suspect), fixing it isn't necessarily simple, quick or easy.