Corsair Community

H100i Platinum RGB latest firmware downgrades pump power from 3000 rpm to 2800 rpm

lady_may_cry

The latest firmware of H100i Platinum RGB black edition not white edition (v.1.01.15) downgrades the pump power from 3000 rpm to 2800 rpm in Extreme mode. Can you please share the previous firmware image (v1.00.33) for me to reflash? This is really annoying and I need your help on this case. Please. This is urgent.

Here are the screenshots of pump power from that I took from the latest firmware (v.1.01.15):

eVII3Dc.png

HmFc9UU.png

and here are from the previous firmware (v1.00.33):

aeJjRJ4.jpg

FwSEiIT.jpg

Edited by lady_may_cry

Not to brush aside why this change was made or any reasoning behind it, but there is no difference in cooling performance between 3000 and 2830 rpm. Flow rate does not have that kind of effect on CPU temperature and you need to greatly restrict or lower the flow rate to see measurable differences. On the opposite end, increasing flow rate by 50% on a high flow system typically has meaningless improvements in terms of tenths of a degree. It would be good to see a change log or some explanation, but in the meantime this has no impact on your use.

Not to brush aside why this change was made or any reasoning behind it, but there is no difference in cooling performance between 3000 and 2830 rpm. Flow rate does not have that kind of effect on CPU temperature and you need to greatly restrict or lower the flow rate to see measurable differences. On the opposite end, increasing flow rate by 50% on a high flow system typically has meaningless improvements in terms of tenths of a degree. It would be good to see a change log or some explanation, but in the meantime this has no impact on your use.

do you know where I can find the old firmware image for this cooler? I looked everywhere on Google and didn't find anything...

I do not. I don't have that specific cooler model, so no local copy. Typically, you must get firmware files from Corsair directly. Use the Support Ticket System link in the menu at the top of this page. However, I will again suggest you wait for an explanation from Corsair before flip-flopping firmware images a few times. That is never a thing to do for fun and tens of thousands of tests of every cooler make and model ever made will tell you a minuscule change in pump speed has zero effect on end CPU temperature. Wait and make an educated decision.

That ~5% difference in pump speed won't amount to any difference at all in your cooling performance. You are better off with the new firmware, which fixes the temp difference from the LEDs and also has truly independent control of the two fans.

Same problem with my H115i RGB Platinum after the firmware update. I've always been running with the "Extreme" Pump speed since the "Balanced" wasn't enough.

That ~5% difference in pump speed won't amount to any difference at all in your cooling performance. You are better off with the new firmware, which fixes the temp difference from the LEDs and also has truly independent control of the two fans.
I'm getting slightly higher peak core temperatures at full load but also at lower loads with this firmware than with the old one.

One of the reasons I got this cooler was because of the fast pump and I haven't had any complaints about temperatures or independent fan control either. Needless to say, I'm not happy with this new firmware. Is there any way to roll back to the previous one?

Odd - I'm actually seeing much improved core temperatures. And the coolant temperature is more accurate from the looks of it - it's not impacted by the lighting anymore.

It could be that you need to adjust your fan curves as the coolant temp is now a bit more accurate.

Can you provide actual number for your "slightly higher peak core temps"? What is the delta between the coolant temp and the core temp? What about the delta between the room and coolant temperature? Going on absolute temperatures isn't always a good idea as temperatures are always a delta. If your room temperature is 2 or 3c warmer now than in winter, everything will be at least 2 or 3c warmer.

Odd - I'm actually seeing much improved core temperatures. And the coolant temperature is more accurate from the looks of it - it's not impacted by the lighting anymore.

It could be that you need to adjust your fan curves as the coolant temp is now a bit more accurate.

Can you provide actual number for your "slightly higher peak core temps"? What is the delta between the coolant temp and the core temp? What about the delta between the room and coolant temperature? Going on absolute temperatures isn't always a good idea as temperatures are always a delta. If your room temperature is 2 or 3c warmer now than in winter, everything will be at least 2 or 3c warmer.

Well, it's my extreme cooling profile with fans at full blast, so the curve adjustments don't apply here (although I do certainly understand how the accurate temperature readings would help when you run your fans curve-based compared to fixed fan speed). The room temperature is about the same as yesterday when I had cooler core temperatures. I didn't check the delta between coolant and room when I tested earlier nor yesterday (I really should have, though), I just saw an increase in CPU core temperatures of 2-4°C (Depending on the core) after roughly an hour or so under full AVX2 load compared to what it was yesterday before the firmware update.

Hopefully this is just a bug and the next firmware will restore the 3000RPM Extreme pump speed.

In any case, I'd like to get my hands on the previous firmware, I couldn't find it when doing a web search, so I'm hoping someone can provide it.

Edited by Glzmo

I think you are looking for a different explanation for any observed temperature differences. I would not expect to see any differences between 2500 and 3000 rpm pump speed with the 9900K at more than 200W. So a pithy little 150 rpm isn't going to be measurable either. Pump RPM does not directly equal flow rate at 1:1. You have to measure that separately (if you really need to) and it is unique for each cooling system or cooler model for AIOs. It is possible you will see different data on this firmware release, but it can't be from -150 rpm. It just doesn't work that way. May have to wait for a formal explanation of any changes. Edited by c-attack

You are lucky, my firmware update didn't even succeed and it somehow destroyed my cooler and turned it into a h80iGT for no reason, now it isnt recognized what so even on LINK4 or iCUE at all, no matter the connections or anything, it just does NOT show up. so annoyed honestly.

You are lucky, my firmware update didn't even succeed and it somehow destroyed my cooler and turned it into a h80iGT for no reason, now it isnt recognized what so even on LINK4 or iCUE at all, no matter the connections or anything, it just does NOT show up. so annoyed honestly.

really? can you post any screenshots for anyone here to see?

I think you are looking for a different explanation for any observed temperature differences. I would not expect to see any differences between 2500 and 3000 rpm pump speed with the 9900K at more than 200W. So a pithy little 150 rpm isn't going to be measurable either. Pump RPM does not directly equal flow rate at 1:1. You have to measure that separately (if you really need to) and it is unique for each cooling system or cooler model for AIOs. It is possible you will see different data on this firmware release, but it can't be from -150 rpm. It just doesn't work that way. May have to wait for a formal explanation of any changes.
Oddly enough. The "Balanced" 2400RPM pump profile always seems to have yielded slightly higher core temperatures than "Extreme" 3000RPM for me.

Still, my question was where to get the old firmware, not what the changes were so I can do some proper tests with each (including coolant/Core temp/room temp delta etc.). The differences I've seen may very well be within the tolerance, but I'd like to test it out and see what I get over a larger sample size.

The question is, does anybody have the older firmware and is it possible to flash it back?

Too bad that I've sold my backup cooler of the same model with my old system recently.

It shouldn't and can google up any radiator test you like and see you need to drop to about 1/3 your maximum flow rate to see to start seeing clear differences in temperature even at 300W. You are consuming less than that and so the difference should be very difficult to detect without serious equipment. I wonder if it is related to the overall temperature sensor issues?

The question is, does anybody have the older firmware and is it possible to flash it back?

Same as the original answer. Contact Corsair through the Ticket System and ask for it. Someone here may have a local copy, but I don't think they would appreciate a public posting. Not a great idea to have people randomly flashing firmware when it does not need to be done.

my pc just crashed with a kernel mode trap or something, assuming its due to the firmware upgrade i was having issues with. hopefully my cpu isnt damaged due to corsairs faulty firmware upgrade.

ordered another cpu cooler, hope it comes soon so i dont need to hop on my old pc/

my pc just crashed with a kernel mode trap or something, assuming its due to the firmware upgrade i was having issues with. hopefully my cpu isnt damaged due to corsairs faulty firmware upgrade.

I've also experienced such a Kernel Mode Trap BSOD after updating the firmware of my H115i RGB Platinum to v1.01.15 (sadly, the system couldn't complete the memory dump to analyze either). It only happened once so I originally discarded it as a fluke, but since you brought it up and I hadn't changed anything else about my system before this happened, it very well could be that the new firmware is causing such a BSOD.

From what I can see from glancing at your System specs, the common denominator between our systems besides the Platinum cooler seems that we're both on Intel Core i9 9900K CPUs with Z390 chipset mainboards and GeForce RTX 2080 Ti video cards.

Has anybody else been experiencing this?

Edited by Glzmo

Hi lady_may_cry,

Please PM me and I can provide the firmware file over email. Just a heads up we did make some important fixes to the firmware with this update and you will lose those by going back. We are investigating the reported pump speed change though.

Hi lady_may_cry,

Please PM me and I can provide the firmware file over email. Just a heads up we did make some important fixes to the firmware with this update and you will lose those by going back. We are investigating the reported pump speed change though.

I already PM my email to you, please check your inbox...

It is so good to see it back to 3000 rpm guys!

MXfTd8r.png

KBBJbvx.png

Corsair just sent me the previous firmware to reflash and it worked like a charm... If you guys need this firmware, just PM me via forum and I will send it to you... But remember, just do this with your own risk and I will not responsible for anything wrong could occur for your cooler...

...But remember, just do this with your own risk and I will not responsible for anything wrong could occur for your cooler...

That’s exactly right and once again, the difference in speed has zero affect on temperature while dumping the other improvements. Some measure of risk for a step backwards because you like rounded numbers.

• 1 year later...
Hi lady_may_cry,

You have PM, thanks :)