Corsair Community

Help needed with exisiting 4gb flash voyager owners ?

corky

I just recieved my new 4gb voyager flash drive, love the build quality and design but copying files to it seems really slow compared to my company easydisk 2gb pen drive ?

If i copy a 75mb file to the easydisk drive it's copied in 6 seconds, if i do the same with the flash voyager drive in the same usb port it takes 11 seconds, nearly twice as long !!

I brought this drive after reading some reviews and i wanted a fast drive.

I have tried fat and fat32, and partitioning it to 2 x 2 gb, but this makes no difference.

Any ideas please ??

Thanks...

I have also just tried my old 1gb pen drive (corsair was replacing it) and that is also faster 6 seconds to copy a 75mb file, and still 11 seconds on corsair drive, this is now on my home pc.

The first post was done on my laptop.

Both xp pro sp2 with all the updates.

I think this pen driive is faulty ?

The 2GB and 4GB are rated slower than the 1GB, 512MB, and 256MB Flash Voyager drives. Due to the density of the NAND flash IC's used the write speed is not as good as those with smaller density. You can use programs like HD Tach, FD Tach, or HD Bench to see what transfer speeds you are getting on your specific platform.

According to the corsair specs for the flash voyager it says the 2gb and 4gb drives write at 9mb/sec, and the rest of the models 6mb/sec.

This suggests the 2 and 4gb models are faster than the others at writing to the pen drive ?

Another test i tried was copying a 700mb avi file, On the corsair you don't see the copy progress bar for at least 10 seconds, then it appears with 14 mins remaining, then 2 mins, then 60 seconds.

Same test on my smaller pen drives and the progress bar appears straight away with 2 mins, then straight to 60 seconds.

If i had known the 4gb corsair drive was this sluggish i don't think i would have brought one !

Hi Guys,

I need to know if my 4gb flash voyager drive is faulty or not ?

Can any of you that own one of these let me know how long it takes to copy say a 75 meg .exe file to the drive please ?

I'm asking as apart from thinking it may be faulty, i just read a review on this drive and the time taken to copy a 104.5 mb .tar.gz file to the pen drive was 1.25 seconds !!

And to copy 106mb (135 files) was 6 seconds !!

Here is the link....

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=332&num=4

Thanks Colin..

According to the corsair specs for the flash voyager it says the 2gb and 4gb drives write at 9mb/sec, and the rest of the models 6mb/sec.

This suggests the 2 and 4gb models are faster than the others at writing to the pen drive ?

Where are you getting your specs from? Please find them listed here. The 128MB Flash Voyager is rated at 6 MB's a second because it only uses one NAND flash IC so it operates in single channel mode. The 256 MB and above drives all have two NAND flash IC's per unit allowing them to work in dual channel mode allowing faster performance for read and write. The 256MB, 512MB, and 1GB drives are rated at 13 MB's write and will usually hit 14 or 15 MB's. The 2GB and 4GB drives are rated at 9 MB's. I would highly suggest downloading a benchmarking program like HD Bench or FD Tach that would allow you to see the performance that you are getting from the drive. That will give you an idea of exactly what the throughput of that drive on your system would be.

Ok, no i did'nt create secure partition.

And yep you are correct, sorry i miss read the small print for the 128mb one, i though that was for all except for the 2 and 4gb ones. I was on the same page as your link by the way.

Ok fair enough, thanks guys for replying i did look into this carefully (i thought) for a while before deciding on a fast pen drive, obviously i never read the spec for the 4gb version.

Thanks again

Oh well this pen drive is now going back for a refund, it seems many online shops advertise it as being able to write at 13mb/sec, and this is obviously not the case for the 2gb and 4gb models, as pointed out earlier.

I tried using it again this morning, i was only copying 37mb of various small files and it took ages. I've never come across such a slow pen drive !!

I'm off now to find a fast 4gb pen drive, if it exists ?

Archived