Corsair Community

H100iGTX Fan header issue

Und3adShr3d

Hi all,

I recently changed my motherboard and processor to a Aorus Z390 Ultra & Intel 9700K. After I installed the new mobo and CPU into my existing case and reinstalled Windows 10 I came across a really strange issue.

I noticed that when I connected the H100iGTX fan to the CPU_FAN header I wasn't getting a reading from the CPU fan RPM in iCue. I thought this was a little strange as on my previous board (Asus X99-A) everything worked fine.

I went into BIOS and ensured that the CPU fan settings were set to:

CPU fan: Voltage Control

Speed: Full Speed

I then went back and checked all the settings and cables and everything is set up as it should be but I couldn't get an RPM reading from iCue.

Now this is where it gets strange, if I connect the fan to the CPU_OPT port with the same BIOS settings assigned to the OPT fan everything works fine. I get a reading of the RPM in iCue and the fans react to the load of the CPU.

Does anyone know why the CPU_FAN header isn't giving me a reading and will leaving it on the CPU_OPT header cause any issues down the line if the voltage and speed settings have been set?

Thanks!!

Leaving it on OPT will not cause any control issues since it is a copy of CPU fan on Asus boards. CPU Fan = Full Speed, then OPT = Full Speed.

In the H100i GTX cooler tab in iCUE, can you verify your pump speed and also make sure your coolant temp isn't floating past 45-50C+?

I assume you mean you don't see the pump in the ASUSTeK Computer INC...... box in iCUE that represents the motherboard data? I'l admit, I have deleted all the fans and readings other than VCPU from this since they are so wacky. iCUE has a hard time reading the Asus sensor stuff. If that's all it is, things are pretty normal. You should always use the cooler tab to monitor pump speed anyway. Did you install AI Suite?

Leaving it on OPT will not cause any control issues since it is a copy of CPU fan on Asus boards. CPU Fan = Full Speed, then OPT = Full Speed.

In the H100i GTX cooler tab in iCUE, can you verify your pump speed and also make sure your coolant temp isn't floating past 45-50C+?

I assume you mean you don't see the pump in the ASUSTeK Computer INC...... box in iCUE that represents the motherboard data? I'l admit, I have deleted all the fans and readings other than VCPU from this since they are so wacky. iCUE has a hard time reading the Asus sensor stuff. If that's all it is, things are pretty normal. You should always use the cooler tab to monitor pump speed anyway. Did you install AI Suite?

That's good to know about OPT, I just thought it strange that the CPU_FAN header doesn't do the same thing.

So on the H100i tab in iCue they are currently showing the below on 'Quiet' profile:

Fan: 780 RPM

Pump: 1140-1410

Temp: 30c

I've attached a picture of all of the devices reporting in iCue also, the strange thing is I have 3x LL140 fans in the case and it looks like only 2 are showing under the mobo??

https://imgur.com/QRfK3WZ

Thanks for the help!

You may need to verify your Gigabyte board has/does not have OPT tied to CPU fan. On my tiny phone I saw Asus and not Aorus. I think GA should have gone with a different moniker, but that is another thread. Regardless, your pump speed is too low. On Quiet, it should be in the 1900-2000 rpm range. ~2850 or so on Extreme. It appears some fan control measure is in use. Double check.

You may need to verify your Gigabyte board has/does not have OPT tied to CPU fan. On my tiny phone I saw Asus and not Aorus. I think GA should have gone with a different moniker, but that is another thread. Regardless, your pump speed is too low. On Quiet, it should be in the 1900-2000 rpm range. ~2850 or so on Extreme. It appears some fan control measure is in use. Double check.

Thanks for taking a look for me, I'm at work at the moment but I believe Aorus' own fan control software may have installed itself when I ran the update utility. All I remember is leaving the update to run while I did other things and then at one point say 'Fan optimisation'

I'll remove this when I get home and see if that makes the difference.

Archived