Corsair Community

Faulty or fake?

Agg

Hi, I just got a 64GB Flash Voyager, I tried to format it to NTFS with no luck, then used the fat32format utility recommended in other threads and got it formatted back to FAT32. But this thing is SLOW, and playing a video off it is unwatchable, all jaggy colour patches and the sound drops out. Plus it would take hours to copy a decent sized file over onto it. Given the NTFS format error (after it finishes formatting, it fails at the "creating filesystem structure" step) and the slow speed and possible file corruption, I assume it's faulty.

But the worrying thing is it looks EXACTLY like the one in this thread:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=77962

So I'm wondering if it might even be fake? When I first got it out of the packaging I noticed it felt quite different, a lot more squishy, than a 2GB voyager and a 16GB voyager GT I have here. Also there's a seam around the loop end of the rubber casing which isn't on the other two I have. The box does not say "made in china" as suggested in the other thread.

So, what do you think? Faulty or fake? Or both? :)

Ah, this definitely does not have the extra length on it. It is in fact exactly the same length as an older 2GB Voyager and a (red) 16GB Voyager GT. I've attached a photo showing the 3 drives I have.

Can you confirm the one in the middle is a fake? Do Corsair really not make a 64GB Flash Voyager in that physical size?

3corsairs.jpg.ebf4dcd77a55ce5bf349b1fd59887083.jpg

Well, it does hold more than 4GB, I just tested it. But it took more than half an hour to copy that data onto it so I can't be bothered trying to see where its limit is! I'll get onto the vendor and see what the story is. If you want to follow it up with them, RAM GUY, feel free to PM me, or have another Corsair employee do so, and I'll let you know their details.

Archived