Corsair Community

Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P and CMX4GX3M2A1600C8

biggnsexxy

I have a Phenom II 720BE (unlocked and OC'd to 3.2 @ 1.35v) on a Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P (F7 BIOS) with 2 x 2GB Corsair XMS3 DDR-1600 CMX4GX3M2A1600C8. I have the timings set at 8-8-8-24 2t @ 1600 with 90ns trfc on dimm1 and 2 (where the mem is). I'm stable in terms of memtest+ v4.0 and Prime95, yet I'm having some issues with gaming (blue vertical lines, possible driver issue on the HD5750...not unheard of). I'm not claiming it's necessarily the memory, but I do want to verify my timings and know what are the exact settings recommendations for this combo. The more info on the settings the better. If you need more info from me, please let me know.

Thanks!

See, that's what I get for not building a system in 7 years and not keeping up on things. I'm sure you're right, but as Wired stated in another post, so long as it's a dual channel config, should work fine. Like I said before, I'm not having a memory issue so far as the tests go, I just want to validate the proper timings/settings for the setup.

I suppose you have set inside bios the following:

Dram @ 1600MHz,

Vdimm @ 1.65v,

Timings @ 8-8-8-24.

If you haven't done so, try disabling any spread spectrum option inside bios, that will give you extra stability in your system.

Also check if a specific pair of ram slots would give you better stability.

See if the problem insists.

For how long have you ran prime and memtest?

Memtest needs at least three to four passes just to make sure you have stable memory and the longer you leave the program to run the better results you'll have. Leave it for overnight.

Prime is the best stability program out there. It will catch up cpu and mem problems easily. But trying to be on the safe side, leave it running for at least for 8 hours, 8 hours has become the standard running that test.

The problem appear on a specific game or in any game?

Did you install the latest drivers for you vga card?

Blue vertical lines?

Have you tried restoring bios settings at default?

If you haven't done so, try loading default bios settings and see if the game or games still show vertical blue lines.

If yes, then it's your cpu or ram settings that make your game or games show blue vertical lines.

Yep, those settings, and I have trfc0 and trc1 set to 110ns. Only game I play is Wow. Ran Prime and Memtest both for over 8hrs. All drivers are up to date. Vertical line issue resolved so far...got rid of the HD5750 and got a GTS250. Game crashes tho saying memory could not be read and/or written (was doing this with HD5750 also). I just want to know what the other mem settings should be for this rig (do I have the trfc's right, plus the rest of the setting options). I'm bout to dump AMD all together and go back to Intel....just wanted to try the dark side again.

Does wow perform the same at default bios settings?

Some games don't like overclocking at all, even if you're prime and memtest stable.

Do you run your dual channel kit in unganged mode?

Have you checked each memory stick individually?

Does this happen in any dimm slot?

Try reseating your sticks again.

Also check if there is a specific game fix for wow crashing.

Run also 32M digits of pi with Hyper Pi or Super Pi.

Also run some 3d benchmark programs.

I would recommend you 3d mark vantage, 3d mark 2006, Unigine Heaven (DX11) and furmark, the last one will make your vga really sweat.

Check out if you have the same problems with the above benchmark programs.

The 720 didnt like the memory at 1600, had to drop it to 1333 and let it auto config timings (which would fluctuate between 9-9-9-24 2t and 11-11-11-24 1t) for it to work, and even then still kinda shady, but still had to bump the v to 1.65. Probable the memory matching Mynthohol mentioned. Anyway, I traded in the 790xt-ud4p and 720BE for an i5 750 and ga-p55-ud3l....works like a champ. Thanks all!

Archived