Corsair Community

What's happened to all the AXi Series PSUs

AMDbigboy

I'm needing to build my 5 year old son a computer. I wanted to use the AX760i psu, but after a quick google search, none are found. In fact, the AX860i are rare, so is Corsair discontinuing them?

A couple years ago, after the AX1500i was released, I was hoping that was the first of a refresh of the AX line, but it wasn't. So with the new AX1600i now available, I find myself right back in the same position as before. I'm hoping that Corsair will bring a new fresh line of AXi PSUs to market, but I'm not hopeful.

Can someone from Corsair tell me if the company is getting away from the AXi line? I'm hoping that because LINK is now a thing of the past, mostly, new digital PSUs compatible with the new CUE software are coming. Sure, a lot of people don't value PSUs, but I understand why it's important to never go cheap on one. Also, I love the digital control as well. I'm really hoping that, with the new CUE software available, a new AXi line is coming.

Crypto currency miners have decimated the PSU and GPU market.

I don't think so. I'm not blaming the idiot miners for this one. Your typical miner will spend a small fortune for GPUs, but not anything else. The AXi line of PSUs are the top and most expensive versions, which miners don't need. They can go with the cheaper TX line and get what they are looking for.

The AX760i isn't even listed or available on Corsair's website because it seems they quietly discontinued it which SUCKS!!! Furthermore, the AX860i is not available either here at Corsair. What's happening to the AXi line of PSUs???!!! Wish someone at Corsair would address this, but they probably would just lie or make up some stupid excuse because, as consumers, we're not allowed to know anything.

Here's the thing, I want a top tier PSU and ONLY the AXi line is DIGITAL whereas the HX and RM are not. Why the hell is Corsair pushing these lower line of PSUs in the under 1000 watt market???!!! I don't need a 1200w PSU, especially a 1,500/1,600 watt one, but would like something between the 900 to 1,000 watt range. I always said I wished Corsair made an AX960i version. I guess that just won't fit the market there are trying to reach with the top tier versions!

Believe whatever you want, but try and find *any* PSU over 500 watts in recent months. It's not about need, the big outfits take everything that's available. You think something like this cares which PSU is in use?

DQmZPzmNtTrYGngMpWTqQWnwrr2iTxMHgfeihkSRb2tZPBW

I will believe what I said, and YES, miners DO care! Just look at all of those PSUs, they all SUCK!!!! I wouldn't buy any one of them because I'm a gamer, not a miner! However, miners will buy that garbage on those shelves because they only spend money on the GPUs, everything else they can go cheap on. So thanks for proving my point! A big thumbs up to you!

AMDbigboy, you are quite mistaken.

1) CryptoMiners need high wattage PSUs to drive all of those GPUs that they are running. The cheaper TX line will not suffice for what they need.

2) CryptoMiners want high efficiency PSUs because it drives up their profitability, especially with the power loads that they are drawing. Once again, the cheaper TX line will not suffice for what they need.

A cryptomining rig will also frequently have 2 or 3 separate PSUs to power all of the GPUs.

As a result, the higher end, high efficiency PSUs are, like the GPUs, getting gobbled up. Now, the typical market for this high end PSUs is typically small, so PSU manufacturers don't make many of them (no sense in having oversupply, right?) The enthusiasts that would typically be purchasing these PSUs, frustrated by skyrocketing prices and short supply, purchase smaller PSUs for their builds (which are still happening). It's actually pretty common for enthusiasts to buy more PSU than they actually need. So now there's increased demand for smaller PSUs which will still be perfectly good for these folks. And the ripple down effect continues. In fact, I recently found myself in this exact situation - I wound up with a 650W PSU where I normally would have gotten 850W. That said, the 650W PSU does the job just fine for the machine that its on.

PSU manufacturers, like GPU manufacturers, are reluctant to increase manufacturing. We've seen these crypto-mining crazes before. And they've died out before. Manufacturers (understandably) don't want to be left with a bunch of high-end, expensive PSUs that they can't sell because the second-hand market is flooded with cheap, used units. Furthermore, they cannot just increase manufacturing capacity overnight; there's a long supply chain involved and several different components and component manufacturers, which creates a long lead time to increase production.

So ... take a look at the two following articles:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-cryptocurrency-mining-power-supplies,5216.html. Note that these are Platinum or better PSUs and include to AX-series and an HX-series PSU - the exact opposite of your assertion.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/why-high-capacity-psu-prices-are-rising,36593.html

PSU manufacturers, like GPU manufacturers, are reluctant to increase manufacturing. We've seen these crypto-mining crazes before. And they've died out before. Manufacturers (understandably) don't want to be left with a bunch of high-end, expensive PSUs that they can't sell because the second-hand market is flooded with cheap, used units. Furthermore, they cannot just increase manufacturing capacity overnight; there's a long supply chain involved and several different components and component manufacturers, which creates a long lead time to increase production.

Yes, I can understand manufactures are concerned with having a bunch of product left of shelves once the mining crap ends! So what you said here is correct and I already had the same thoughts regarding GPUs. We just have to wait this out, hopefully it's over sometime in the next year, but I doubt it.

However, from most of what I've seen, which has formed my opinion, miners are going cheap with everything but the GPUs. I'm not saying your wrong or the article is wrong, but I've seen what I've seen and that's several mining rigs going with cheaper PSUs.

All of those, IMO, crap PSUs shown in the photo Hockster2 provided, are on the cheaper side. As well as the rigs I've personally seen, both in person, and on the internet.

My point is, that while I'll admit to being wrong in a way, I will also say I was correct in another. My assertion wasn't as wrong as you think.

Maybe they (the miners) are going cheap with the PSU's, because all the good ones are out of stock? Getting whatever they can.

A couple months ago, I was trying to buy a Corsair RM750i, but no luck, and I noticed that a lot of the higher wattage ones were out too. I settled for a RM650i, which has been fine, but it was still frustrating.

All of you are wrong!!!! From the beginning this was about the AXi line of PSUs, not any other model. Corsair has definitely made a decision about the AXi line which, as a result, has ended the AX760i model all together. Just because I started this thread a couple days ago, doesn't mean I just noticed this problem. This issue with the AXi line of PSUs has been going on for more than a year now and Corsair has not updated this line in SEVERAL years! At least with any model under 1500w.

Miners don't help this, but as I already said before, this is not a miner issue. It's a Corsair issue and because no one from Corsair has addressed this thread tells me there is something going on that they don't want us to know. Like maybe they have decided to kill off this line slowly. I've been hoping that a refresh was coming due to the fact the AX760, AX760i, AX860 & AX860i models all becoming extinct, but now I think it's something else. No, not anything to do with the miners, just decisions made by Corsair.

I've been extremely brand loyal to Corsair for many years now, but after much consideration, I'm going to change and use Thermaltake for my next builds. I want a full tempered glass case and the Crystal series sucks. It's too small, can't even use the Hydro Series H115i PRO and the PSU shroud on the 570 is stupid. I was told by someone at Corsair that they did consider a full-sized Crystal series, but it would cost them too much so they elected against it. At this point, I'm going with the Thermaltake View 71 RGB case and the Toughpower iRGB 1,050w PSU. Which by the way, every where I look, I have NO problem finding. Again, ALL OF YOU ARE WRONG!!!!

It would have been nice for someone at Corsair to have addressed this thread, but I'm not surprised. As of now, Corsair has lost a very, very loyal customer that has used many, many, many of there parts for my own and others' builds. Corsair started something awesome with the LINK thing, but now Thermaltake has it and it's better, along with better cases and PSUs.

Hello, guys. I too side with AMDBigBoy, miners wouldn't go for premium PSUs. This thread shouldn't be about miners at all.

This is all because of their hurried release of AXi series. There are lot of threads with AX860i problems. I had an AX860 which died, was given a choice between 860 and 860i. Even after going through several threads about AXi failing, i assumed they were odd one outs. But as soon as I got the RMA back, those same problems started with my AX860i too. To me, there seems to be something fundamentally wrong with the AXi line. Most likely, being digital (that too, among first in the industry), they are too sensitive to fluctuations. Those who have perfect electricity supply setup to their homes didn't experience these problems and thus allowed Corsair to justify selling them. Whereas, most of us(including me) experienced abrupt shutdowns, refusing to turn on, etc etc..thus increasing the return rate higher than what is considered justifiable. And that is why I think they have discontinued AXi series. I had to RMA my AX860i again and now I'm going to ask for AX860 back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee

Lot of speculation from people who know absolutely nothing. LOL!

The AXi is not discontinued. Flex can only build so many and they sell faster than they can build them.

Crypto currency does play a large part in the high demand for PSUs. The AXi is overkill for a miner, but lately miners are buying whatever they can get their hands on because high efficiency PSUs are drying up everywhere.

There's also been a massive shortage of MLCC, MOSFETs, etc. that's impacting ALL PSUs.

https://passive-components.eu/mlcc-structural-supply-shortage-to-intensify/

https://epsnews.com/2017/08/16/power-semiconductors-lead-times-continue-stretch/

Also, you know nothing of the failure/return rate of AXi. You're simply speculating based on your own experience. There are a lot of threads about failures, but when you sell a lot of a product, you have a proportional number of returns. But from an over all percentage stand point, the number is not that high.

Seriously, if "most of us" had an issue with AXi PSUs, it wouldn't make sense to sell them because supporting product costs money and there's no ROI when "most of the product" (as you put it) has to come back.

• Corsair Employee
Same here! ::pirate::

In that photo there are no power supplies shown. Those are ASIC miners. lol

ASIC miners need power too.

We have an Antminer S9 13.5TH/s running off an AX1500i.

When alt coins like Ethereum start to require ASICs to be more profitable, that will release the strangle hold on the graphics card availability, but not power supplies. They'll always need power.

Hopefully as many of the major alts as possible will fork and continue to do so as needed to deal with the ASIC problem. ETH will be going proof of stake eventually which will render them and GPUs useless for that particular currency.

Regardless you are correct - power supplies are still needed. Though they do sometimes use enterprise power supplies there is still pressure on the consumer market. Luckily a lot of PC enthusiasts don't need or use more than 850w which is where mining demand generally picks up from.

• 8 months later...

I know this thred is a tad old, but i have just made an RMA on my AX860i and got it aproved, when it landed the day after at Corsair in Netherlands, then they told me.

"Our apologies for the inconvenience, unfortunately the replaced product is discontinued product. But, we will offer you the following alternative. "

So Corsair says it's discontinued.

I think the entire AXi line is done. Haven't seen any available anywhere for quite a while.

Well i live in Denmark and here there still is some retailers that have it in stock, mostly on the web, probably because the most danes does not buy that expensive PSU's due to the higer price-tag after import toll and so on. :)

I did and it has served me well, but since Corsair said it was discontinued and offered me an HX1000i that in basic does the same (Except for digital control and the option to set some settings). and i never used that option anyway.

So more for less at an RMA is pretty good. :)

On an note, the AX1200i and AX1600i is still available at Corsairs shop (Add to Cart), but perhaps just the "Last units" is sold.

But yeah if Corsair support says it's discontinued, then there should be no doubt about it.

Just talked to the rma dept in the states about my replacement AX860i and he said the ax860i is still an active product being manufactured but he said he couldn't give an estimate on when my new one would be in, so they sent me a a refurbished one as a temporary

Archived